Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today is my last day at work................

Today is my last day at work................

I have been supporting myself since age 15 when I began roughnecking for my Dad on oil rigs. Since then I have had full time employment or was agressively looking for a job .

Over 34 years ago I got out of the U.S. Navy having taken a job with a company 3 months before my enlistment expired. That company was bought by Johnson and Johnson. Some years later they sold us to a much bigger corporation. Due to the sudden death of my left ear last July and the profound loss of hearing in my right ear, I haven't been able work for safety reasons. Thus after 24 years, today is my last "working" day for this large corporation . I haven't had to look for a job in 34 years.

My wife has decided to retire too and since yesterday was the last day of the semester, she retired yesterday. I spent most of the day attending the celebrations for her at the elementary school where she has worked with special education children for 25 years. She became a CNA because some of her students had to be fed by a stomach tube or had other medical needs. In her years there she had to attend funerals for some of her students as they can often not live to be adults. They held a surprise luncheon for Sharon and 30 or so teachers and aids attended up including many who were retired before her.

The last 2 weeks I have spent cleaning out my office of used parts, and shipping them to recycle. My test equipment and special tools were either reassigned to my local coworker or returned to the test equipment pool.

Later this year I hope to have a cochlear implant implanted into my left inner ear.

It's gonna seem strange........

More shop time! Woohoo!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-28-2011 at 4:30 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats Ken enjoy it.

Ken, congratulations on your retirement and your long career. Both you and your wife have definitely earned some "me time". Good luck on the adjustment. Here's to more shop time!

Enjoy the time off
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Ken, congratulations on a lifetime of good work. I hope you can enjoy 40 years or so of healthy (and at least adequately wealthy) retirement. There's a great little book called "Half-time: moving from success to significance" by Bob Buford that I might recommend for some fun inspiration if you get in a reading mood when the glue is drying in the shop.

You have a wonderful family. Enjoy them. Enjoy your wood shop. Enjoy whatever happens next!

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

enjoy your retirement

Well-earned, I'm sure! Now don't go all cuckoo on us with the sudden spare time on your hands!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Congrats and good luck with the hearing!

Ken,
    Congratulations. You may find that you will work harder after you retire than you ever did on the job. Now that you are your own boss try to take it a little easy on yourself. I found out that I am a terrible boss, I make myself work long and hard hours, sometimes seven days a week. On occasion long into the night.
    Enjoy your retirement and I wish you the best of luck with your cochlear implant.
    David B

Why would anyone want to retire so young? I just don't understand it.
    Oh wait...yes I do...it's the best thing that has happened to me...AND I'm sure you will feel the same way Ken. CONGRATS!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Ken, I hope your retirement goes well. Mine isn't too far off.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

BIG BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ! ! !

Enjoy your retirement . . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Ken - I hope you enjoy your last day at work! Here's wishing you and Sharon only the very best of what life has to offer! Take a deep breath - enjoy the freedom!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congratulations Ken, it only gets better from now on!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Congratulations, Ken. Don't be too surprised to find out that you still run out of time to do the things you want to do. I call it the retirement time black hole. Good luck with the implant.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!