Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Today is my last day at work................

Come Aug. I'll be joining in the fun myself.
    Congrats!!

Good job Ken. Enjoy life to it's fullest.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thanks everybody for the well wishes.

Gene,

I couldn't be a special education teacher or aid. I don't have that kind of emotional strength. People who can do that for long periods of time have my complete respect.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A hearty congratulations to both you and She Who Must Be Obeyed!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

congrats. big change. since you already have activity outside of work, I know you won't have to work too hard to enjoy retirement. (for some folks it might be a tough transition, but I expect not for woodworkers.) I look forward to the day myself.

My most sincere congratulations to you Ken and your bride Sharon. I know the conditions aren't as you would have liked, but I believe you will enjoy your new life. As you may remember, I retired last May after 42 years of teaching. I have the utmost respect for special ed teachers, especially those in LOYL's areas--I couldn't have done it.

Boredom has not been a problem for me, as I'm sure it won't be for you. I don't understand how I ever found time to go to work. Each day needs to consist of at least 36 hours. Shop time is WONDERFUL!

If you get back to your Hoosier home, be sure to let me know. We need to get together if possible.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Congrats Ken, and best of luck with that ear thing.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Congratulations on your retirement Ken. Congratulations to Sharon too. She sounds like a very special person. Good luck with the cochlear implant. Enjoy every day.

Marc Himes

I hope everything you have planned goes well.

Ken, I just noticed this as I don't always come to off topics. I did notice your retirement in another thread. Congratulations and have fun.
    Richard

Thanks Richard....and everybody for the well wishes.

I'm still cleaning up the little things from 34 years of operating out of a home office. Another hour and I should have it reclaimed.

The wife and I are just getting things done that we need so we can progress into this retirement thing.

We discussed getting a laptop. Our daughter works for US Airways and we can travel cheaply. We need a laptop so we can make our own reservations when away from home.

Even though currently I can't hear or understand anyone on the phone, we discussed getting cell phones. There is a service for fee available, where someone can call your cell phone and leave a voice mail. This in turn is sent to you as a text message. Sharon and I are pretty independent and she will be traveling more than I. We have decided we'll research cell phones so we can communicate when away from each other or away from home. After I get my cochlear implant, using telephones, hopefully, will no longer be a problem.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-05-2011 at 1:16 PM.
    Ken

Hi Ken,

This is the first time I've wandered away from the basic woodworking forum - and I see this business on retiring. Congratulations!!!!! Our best wishes for you in the coming years.

Congrats on the retirement thing. Best of luck with the implant, have a friend or two that have had very good success with that. Also getting close to hanging it up myself. Just needing the stock market to get back where it was a couple years ago. Look forward to more "turning posts". All the best.

Congratulations Ken! I think I can speak for Larry, Tom & Toni by saying that we really enjoyed our visit with you last year.

Thanks Bill!

I enjoyed the visit! You wouldn't recognize my shop. I was so embarrassed by it's condition when you were here that I built several cabinets and rolling carts. Things have been put away, cleaned up. I built an assembly table. I finally finished that cherry table and it's in the livingroom. I'm in the design stage of an entertainment center now. Hopefully get it finished this spring.

Thanks again! Drop by again if you are ever in the area.
    Ken