Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Today is my last day at work................

Congratulations on your retirement, Ken, and good luck with the implant.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Congratulations Ken

As someone who has some experience with a Cochlear implant (My dad has one after being 90% deaf his whole life) it has been a blessing. It's a wonderful thing to talk to my father and not have to yell (-: I really feel you will really benefit from the implant. Let us know how it goes. My understanding is that the closer you are to losing the hearing the faster you are to adapt and learn to use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]What does a pirate dawg say?

1 chapter closes and another opens. Sounds like you and your wife were both major contributors in community, so you have earned the right to do the next thing. We're about 4.5 yrs (but who's counting) behnd you and definitely looking for some retirement yrs. May you have many!

I just saw this thread for the first time today.

Ken, Congratulations on your retirement, have fun and I hope the hearing procedure goes smooth.

all the best
    joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

congrats Ken

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! We are going to enjoy our retirement.

We have just been making airline reservations to visit some family members later this year. We hope to do some serious traveling. The wife will definitely travel a lot more than I as she enjoys it more. About 3 days anywhere, visiting anyone and I become uncomfortable and am ready to come home or move on.

I plan on doing a lot more woodworking. I have several projects already lined up for me by SWMBO. They are all woodworking related so I won't argue.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken - the best of good luck and a long healthy retirement.

I am at decision making time for retirement also - and my hearing is part of the consideration.

Walt

Ken congats!

I didn't read all the posts here, so it may be in there, but I wanted to mention to make sure to see your service advisor at the VA hospital nearest to you. There may be benefits available for your hearing loss, I know someone getting $400 a month due to hearing loss. He served in the Viet Nam era and recently lost his hearing. I guess it depends where you served and what you did, but its worth a call. That could buy some wood!

Congratulations to both of you Ken. I wish you a happy and enjoyable retirement.
    All the best

Ken, welcome to the wonderful world of "redirected." We don't "retire" these days, just redirect to other activities. You and Sharon have many wonderful experiences ahead of you.

As a 20+ year "redirected person" I feel authorized to offer a couple of tips: first, separate personal time from couple/honey-do time. If you don't your personal time (read shop time) can quickly evaporate. Second, you are responsible for making your own lunch. Sorry, not Sharon's job. Third, get your own phone, but that sounds like it is under control.

I'm so pleased to learn you are in line for a Cochlear implant. Obviously that will make a huge difference in your life.

Finally, when you buy the monster RV and start filling in the states visited map on the rear panel, know that you've got a meal, beverages, and bed in Douglasville, GA.

Looking forward to seeing you and meeting Sharon,

Blessings, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Ken, I'm a bit late to the party here. But congrats on a lifetime of hard work that seems to have paid off for you. Good luck in your next life...one of fulfillment, quality time, selfishness, and shop time.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Wow. That is awesome Ken. You have sure earned it! Enjoy the shop time.

Joshua

Ken,

Congratulations to you and your family! You both have definitely earned a time of "me time" now. As for myself, I work for the Federal Government (GS employee) and I am jealous! I don't think they've even identified a year in the Almanac for when I can retire:/ At least it seems that way. I wish you all the best of luck with you future endeavors and especially with the ear procedure - I'm sure it will pay off big dividends. Now, get out into that workshop and make yourself your first "retirement" project!

Once again.....Thanks everybody for the well wishes!

This first week has been busy getting details straightened out for retirement and making a few other decisions.

Filing our income taxes.

I met the best salesman in the world yesterday. He sold cell phones to a deaf man. Since the wife and I will be traveling separately a lot, it only made sense to get a Smart phone so we could talk, text message and acess the Internet to change our reservations if necessary when away from home. The good news was that they give a tremendous discount to employees and retirees from the large corporation from which I retired . I didn't know that until I went to pay for the phones.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

May your troubles be less, your blessings more, and may nothing but happiness, come through your door. Wishing youwell on your retirement. Hope all goes well with your implant.