Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Engagement rings, do you care about the size?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Once we cared who brought home the biggest bison as that was perceived to mean the man was a good provider and would and could provide for a family
    I tried bringing home the biggest Bison, but it wouldn't fit in my sports car's trunk All I could fit in it was a rabbit and a couple of sticks.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    I may not be the right one to comment here because my wife still doesn't have an engagement ring. It sounds to me that the tough conversations as to what is important between the two of you haven't occurred. We had simple $5 bands for the wedding ceremony. Both of us took them off in less than a week. We have been together for 25 years now. On the other hand, if she wanted a nice ring, I would be happy to provide. But only because I am clear of her motives and her character. I am luck to have her with me.

From my vantage point watching others, the ring size is a competition between women. I generally find this distasteful.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I tried bringing home the biggest Bison, but it wouldn't fit in my sports car's trunk All I could fit in it was a rabbit and a couple of sticks.
    You got the girl because you remembered the sticks for the fire to cook the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    From my vantage point watching others, the ring size is a competition between women. I generally find this distasteful.
    I agree 100% Shawn. I would have been happy with no ring at all. Obviously a ring does not a marriage make.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 01-29-2011 at 11:01 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I agree 100% Shawn. I would have been happy with no ring at all. Obviously a ring does not a marriage make.
    They don't seem to think a Sharpie for drawing a ring on their finger is a good substitute, however...

I mean, come on! It's permanent marker! Who says I have issues with commitment... ? Hmmm, sounds like a good Facebook status update.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I made a solemn vow after my divorce that if I ever decided to get married again I would just have a ball and chain tattooed around my ring finger.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

I proposed with flowers. We went out the next day to get the ring.

I didn't need to propose to my wife.

She said, we're getting married or your azz is outta here.

Coming up on 25 years in August.

If you love her get the ring she wants. Is it vain to some people to want a big shiny honking ring sure. But some people like big shiny cars, or watches etc. I'm not convinced that wanting a big ring makes you need to leave.

P.s. Good luck, I"m out to wax the top of my table saw so it is shiny

For clarification, her wanting a big shiny ring was not what prompted my advice that you ride off into the sunset. It seems that you two have different value sets which sometimes doesn't make for great compatability. Follow your heart and ignore cynics like me.

Bella Terra

I got the ring I knew my wife would love the most. While fairly small, it's high quality, simple and comfortable. It's also from canada. (Though I've read "conflict" diamonds are not near the problem they were in the 80's/90's, we still liked buying from our northern friends.)

So far the ring has worked out as well as the marriage--better than we ever imagined. (7.5 years)

-Steve

The diamond in my wife's engagement ring is probably about 1/3 of a carat. Sure it's much smaller than most but the diamond has a history in my family. Sometime in the 1920's, my great grandma had a cocktail ring made with this diamond and about 10 other smaller ones. When my grandma found out Stacey and I were getting serious, she gave me the ring. Then I had the diamond removed and installed in a solitaire setting. After I proposed, we went back to my jeweler and had a custom setting made using a total of 7 diamonds. Then later as anniversary gift, we added another band with a few more of the original diamonds. My wife's ring may be small but there's a great amount of history behind it.
    If we won the lottery, she might want upgrade her ring but then she might not. I've got a keeper!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I was 18 when I proposed to my wife - she was 20. Engagement ring? I didn't have money for bus fare to her house. There was no ring. I was very young and thought I knew what I wanted. I was right. We celebrated our 45th anniversary a few days ago. May I say, respectfully, if you're confused enough to ask for our opinions, you're not ready to propose. Give yourself some time to let the confusion clear itself up - or not.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Cnyic Mode ON: if you give it to her on Valentines Day it is a present and she can keep it even if she breakes the engagement. Cynic Mode OFF

Hi Sunny,

It looks like a nice ring to me. I think you should wait. I feel a lot of doubt in you post. Talk this out and be SURE before you give her the ring. Divorce is ugly and $$$ is one of the top problems. You have your entire life infront of both of you. Be sure both of you will be happy.

Just my $0.02.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I agree with many others here. You certainly have some thinking to do if this a patterned behavior. The fact that she would tell you its too small is troubling. If she truely loves you the size shouldnt matter. Maybe its simply influence from her mom, or girlfriends or something of that sort. I'd certainly be putting the brakes on till i sorted it out.

My wifes diamond is 1ct, and she loves it, however she'd have been happy with anything. In fact she was with me when i bought it, we're both in our thirties, we knew what we wanted, knew we were ready. We were on our way to see my family that day, and on a whim we decided to stop and look at rings. She was looking at some .5 carat rings, and had one she liked. I looked at the stone and could see black specs in it. It was I that picked out the much nicer and much more expensive 1 carat that was a much better quality diamond.

She loves her ring, for it was what i chose to give her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill LaPointe View Post
    Sunny,

After almost 30 years in the jewelry business, I can assure you that size matters! Sadly, given the choice between quality and size, most will choose size. I suspect this is due to lack of knowledge, but that's just a guess based on experience. You'll just have to learn to live with it. Good luck!
    Thanks. I'll change it to a larger size ring soon. Hope every thing goes fine.