Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laminate Acrylic

Robert:
    Here is some info on one of the adhesives I have coming. As you can see, this has been out there for several years.
    http://news.thomasnet.com/companysto...Seconds-486788

I just let them cool under their own weight. I did not bring them to deflection temp but as close as I dared before it started to. I did not put the pieces in a draft or add any cooling air. Just let it cool slowly.
    A toaster oven would get too hot probably and make a mess. The heat press puts pressure on when heated but we used very light pressure while it was in the machine. It doesn't take much with a heat gun to get it up to temp, but you don't want to hit it with full heat. I have a Porter Cable gun and I set it about a quarter of the way up. These were small pieces of 1/8" (3mm) about 4x6".
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 02-24-2011 at 8:04 PM.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I need the final conclusion to this! I am looking for the same thing and have not been able to find a viable solution!

Chloroform
    I can get it from my chemical supplier but I have a toxins license. It's not nice stuff but pretty safe to work with if you are careful.
    You did what !

What is your end use? Are these to special shapes etc? If it's just flat sheets you want laminate, companies such a Seal, 3M
    make a double stick adhesive tape that is optically clear. I worked for a display photo finisher for many years we used this
    to mount photos to plex. You would have to have a laminator to do this. I might suggest you visit a local "Display" Company or
    one that creates Trade Show Graphics. To me it's worth the trip as if they don't have anything that works you may find a new client...
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

For what it's worth...
    A couple years back, just for grins, I wanted to see if my 25W ULS would cut 3/8" acrylic. Not having any on hand, I took a couple pieces of 0.2" clear acrylic (the GE stuff from Home Depot) and taped them together, then cut the sandwich with two surprising results: (1) it actually worked, albeit excruciatingly slowly, and (2) the pieces were welded together quite firmly at the cut edges.
    Not sure of the actual application here, just a thought.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I must have missed this back in 2012. I have made hundreds of acrylic puzzles, with multiple layers of 1/8" usually black and clear. I cut some clear 2mm adhesive vinyl to the total thickness, and wrap it around the edges. You cannot really tell it's there and holds all layers together nicely without any glues. I cut with the plotter, but you can use a metal ruler and Olfa or Xacto.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Robert/ not sure I get exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Just laminating pcs of acrylic together or placing something between acrylic pcs then laminating ?? Acrifix 2r0190 works well. It is a 2 part reactive cement and is very forgiving. After mixing you can spin it in an applicator bottle to de gas it. Or, you can let it set covered and it will degas in a few minutes. Make a tape hinge on one side pour glue and slowly set top pc into the glue, let it run out the sides. After cured cut to final size.

We use this every day to glue large acrylic aquarium panels.
    Trotec 300 80 watt ** on order**
    Laguna IQ CNC Router

Loctite GO2 glue--- This stuff is the bomb for gluing clear plex together for 'visual' purposes--

I just cut and glued these pieces together just now to show you how well it works---
    it's very forgiving, excess glue just squishes out nicely, zero bubbles and crystal clear--
    The stuff is the consistency of honey, has a slight chemical smell I can't put my finger on- I mention the smell because
    when this stuff dries it feels like silicone, only stiffer. But it doesn't smell like silicone. It doesn't melt the acrylic, it's
    simply an adhesive. Those coconuts I've been engraving, this stuff glued 4 broken bottoms back on. I found this stuff
    by accident when looking for glass glue. If you don't need an actual chemical bond, try this stuff!

just beware, pieces CAN MOVE AROUND before it sets up! Needs a day to set up, but it's worth the wait...

DSC04328.jpgDSC04329.jpgDSC04330.jpgDSC04334.jpgDSC04336.jpgDSC04337.jpg
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 10-01-2015 at 7:40 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle