Thread: How to fix raised veneer and top

How to fix raised veneer and top

We inherited some nice furniture. A towel was placed on top of this piece and an old humidifier was placed on top of it. There are now two problems.

1. The top veneer has split slightly and is raised a bit. I am unsure how to fix this. My instinct is to shoot some glue (what kind) into the spot and then place something very heavy on top to hold it down.
    2. Second problem is that the top finish now feels very rough. It does NOT feel like there is a varnish on it. I am told that my wife's grandmother used to apply tung oil. My instinct is to sand lightly with a fine grit paper (say 400??) and then oil the top (after gluing).

Help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Pitonyak; 01-29-2011 at 9:25 PM. Reason: To subscribe.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    The veneer can be repaired by using a hypodermic needle and inject CA glue under it. Hold it down for a while. It dont take long for the thin CA glue to dry. Just a minute or so. Sometimes less.
    As for the finish feeling rough, a light sanding with 220 grit should fix that. Until you have a better idea about what finish is on there, I have no suggestions at this time.
    Last edited by Tony Bilello; 01-29-2011 at 9:38 PM.

I just wanted to provide an update on this. I used the CA glue as Tony recommended. I then took a pain stirrer that I had covered with packing tape that is really really slick. I placed this on top of the raised veneer. I then placed a large piece of MDF on that and some heavy weights on that.

There was minimal adhesion to the tape (because it is so slick). I then lightly sanded the area.

I verified that the original owner (my wife's grandmother) used Tung Oil on the dresser, so I used tung oil (a few coats).

The dresser looks good as new. Thinking that I might do the same thing to the center section which has a bit of wear. The figure on the dresser is nothing short of amazing...

What brand of tung oil did you use?

I used 100% Tung Oil from woodcraft

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Oil-Quart.aspx

Because I sanded a bit, I initially thinned it a little bit for the first coat. After that, I used 0000 Steel Wool to smooth it a bit and very very thin coats of just the tun oil.