Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a cordless jigsaw any ones to stay away from?

need a cordless jigsaw any ones to stay away from?

Now I am not using this for high quality work. I will use it to hack up the sheet stock when I remove the scrap from my cnc router. sometimes I end up with a full sheet with lots of holes. my makita cordless skillsaw binds too much and ends up being a pain. I was looking at the makita cordless to save batteries but the think is 180.00 without a battery. thats way to much for what I am doing. a cord would just get caught on everything and I can't take it out to the dumpster with me if needed. so anyone use one and have feedback? so far this milwalkie one seems a good bet.
    Milwaukee 2445-21 M12 Cordless High Performance Jig Saw Kit
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Why do I see myself doing that job with a reciprocating saw instead? It probably isn't the correct tool but that is my first thought.

I like my Dewalt cordless jigsaw but it is Makita priced and you would need a battery and charger so even more so.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

great minds think alike. had the wife get me a makita cordless reciprocating saw for Christmas. only 100.00 for the tool (now I see them for 79.00) but the think is so massive and heavy you can't use it one handed. most of the time I hold the material with one hand cut it with the other. I have the batteries and charger but 180.00 is too much just for the tool. I did notice that pc had a more one handed reciprocating saw but the jigsaw gives me easy one handed use and am not worried about a clean cut just a fast one and no binding.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I can get the Milwaukee saw at home depot for 149.00 but I can't find much info on the batteries. but it is almost 2# lighter then the bosch but I bet the bosch would run a fair amount longer. but batteries are cheap for the Milwaukee and you can get larger batteries.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

here is what I may cut though figure a 4x8 sheet. got to cut it so it will fit in the dumpster
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Steve, I know about as much about CNC routing as my dog knows about fluid dynamics... BUT, can't you just tell that machine via the finger interface clicky clack board to make a cut at the end to cut the board in half? It can't be that easy since I am sure you would have already done it, but I guess I am just wondering why it isn't feasible.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Why not use a circular saw?

Quote Originally Posted by George Gyulatyan View Post
    Why not use a circular saw?
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe build a saw table out of some 2x4s and hold it up with saw horses or banquet table legs and slice and dice. If you have ever bought a cordless set of tools you probably got a circular saw. If not, I bet you can find somebody that has an extra you can get for little to nothing.

Sometimes I used the machine to cut the scrap up but only if there are larger sections. otherwise the sheet will not hold in place and it takes longer to get the drawing down and get the machine to do it. Plus most of the time each sheet is different so it would really add up. if they are the same then I get the machine to do it. speed is the key I don't have room to put the sheet horizontal and cut it so it is leaning up against scrap when I need to saw it. I need to get the scrap out of the way load the machine back up and while it is cutting cut the scrap up while it is leaning against something. so I have to hold the material while cutting it. I have used the cordless skill saw for years but it binds so much it is a hassle. I also stomp and break them over the dumpster depending on the material.
    the reciprocating saw would work well if I had a way to hold material in place. I will use it when I have several sheets to cut at once.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I figured there was a good reason!

BTW for those that have pointed out circular saw, ne mentioned thats what he has been using but it binds, which makes perfect sense if you look at what he is cutting.

found this guy only 99.00 seems to work well as long as you press against the wood to keep the chatter down.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

What about getting a track saw(either DeWalt, Makita, or Festool). It's great for cutting up sheet goods and long pieces in general.

I don't know what can software you use but I do this in Aspire Just add a file at the end to get rid of the scrap and leave usable pieces.

I use aspire too. it just depends on if the sheet will stay in place ok and if it is something I do more then once. Most of my work are one off's and if you have 20 sheets that are all different it is too slow using the machine to hack them up.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing