Thread: Heat Pressing Stainless Mugs in Oven

Heat Pressing Stainless Mugs in Oven

Okay. Attempting my first try at subbing S.S. Travel Mugs in mug wraps in the oven. All directions I can find give specs and time for using a convection oven and I don't have one; so have to use the old handy dandy kitchen oven instead. Has anyone tried this using the S.S. Travel Mugs from Johnson Plastics? I'm just trying to get a head start tonight hopefully and not have to wait till tomorrow to call Johnson or Sawgrass.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

It won't matter whether you use convection or conventional as long as you have a pretty accurate temp and let the oven heat up thoroughly. Do the Johnson mugs have removable plastic parts? Hope so, otherwise you'll end up with a gooey mess...

Gary

Cool

Gary,

Yes the Johnson Travel Mugs come apart and only the steel body is left to put in the oven / press. Good mugs too.

Job came out well for first try. 400 degrees and in the oven for 7 minutes. Usual press time is about 5-5 1/2 minutes, but Johnson said to leave for additional time using standard home oven. Looking to buy a stand-alone business use convection as they recommend those over using the conventional ovens.

Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Terry,
    I bought mine at Walmart, it was about $90 or so, on the recomendation of Kevin Lumberg (Johnson Plastics). I'm a bit surprised that they sublimated that quickly, I cook ceramic mugs for about 18 minutes in my convection oven. Maybe being stainless they sublimate a lot faster.

Gary

Don't know if it creates a serious issue, but they say not to use an oven that you use for food also.
    have a dedicated one.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Don't know if it creates a serious issue, but they say not to use an oven that you use for food also.
    have a dedicated one.
    That's what I was told also, but I wonder if it's because of harmful effects to the food or to the dye sub?

Gary,

Im down in Klamath Falls,OR nice to see another Oregonian on here. I had just asked the same question before finding this thread. I wanted to try dye sub in my conventional oven as well. Have you gotten a convection oven since posting this last year? How did that turn out?

Good JOB !!!!

A little side track on Sublimation as moisture can be a problem... IF you find that when you do something like a Ceramic Mug or Plaque and get a White Blure....That is moisture... During the Transfer Process from a solid of the transfer ink and a vapor while being held to the item then back to a solid as ink inside the Poly coating... IF Moisture gets in the mix.. It causes problems...

SO I dry my transfers on top of my Heat Press as the paper can hold moisture from the air like on a rainy day... So be aware if you get any blurry images... Look for a Moisture probem...

When I do Clip Boards I dry them on my heat press for sometimes and hour... First time they are not dry, the moisture inside the Hardboard causes a Explosive Pop as a Bubble blows out in the board.

Good Luck when you get to that point... A 16 x 20 Swinger Press is the best in my opinion... One step at a time build your business...

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel Echevarria View Post
    Gary,

Im down in Klamath Falls,OR nice to see another Oregonian on here. I had just asked the same question before finding this thread. I wanted to try dye sub in my conventional oven as well. Have you gotten a convection oven since posting this last year? How did that turn out?
    Hi Ariel, good to see you here too! I actually bought the oven back in 2006, still use it, still works great! For $90 it was worth not wondering what the problem was - dye sub contaminating my food or my food contaminating dye sub...

Gary