Thread: Delta Dc-380 bearing removal assistance

Delta Dc-380 bearing removal assistance

Well I looked at at the post here with no luck. I am trying to get the old head out to replace the bearings on my 22-675 DC-380 planer. The bearings don't look the same size as what a couple of people posted either. Anyway, for the life of me I can not get it out from the belt/pulley side. I thought I would be able to tap it out, bearing and all, from the pulley side then use a gear puller. It wiggles, and rotates, but won't come out. The head is supported by a wood block to avoid any binding. Any ideas would be appreciated since I am now shut down in my shop until I can finish this.
    And to think all I wanted to do is replace the bearings for the person buying the planer. This should teach me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Bontz; 02-03-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: pics added

First, I know nothing about this unit. But from the pictures, the look like the are pressed in there.
    Meaning it will take a lot of force (maybe even heat) to get the shaft free and then the bearings to come out.

I am only basing this on what I know from farm machines and anything else I have worked on.

Hopefully someone here has replaced these before and can be more help.

Yeah its one of the afternoon projects that turns into a week long affair. I tried to find a manual on line but had no luck. I am assuming that the orange transmission casting is now free to be removed from the planer. If this is the case I would heat the casting around the bearing on the opposite side in the first photo, using a wooden block to protect the cutter shaft I'd give the shaft some solid whacks to see if it moves. Use a heat gun to get the casting nice and hot. If this works you can set up a fixture to hold the tranny casting with support right around the bearing there and again use heat and gentle persuassion. You made need a blind bearing puller to get these two bearings out of the castings.

Cast iron can be broken very easily if it's not properly supported so be super careful!

Getting this all back together is going to require patience, heat and perhaps some custom made bearing drivers (turned wood works) - only press on the outside of the bearings!

If you could scan a parts blow up of this I could be more helpful but from what I see in the two photos this is the process.

Ron, the procedure should be basically same as removing a cutterhead to install a helical head on any of the import planers. Check out Grizzly's instructions for head replacement here:

http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/t10128_m.pdf

Some shafts and bearings on the Delta may be placed differently, but the operation is pretty much the same. Good Luck!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thanks all. I finally got it out. And thanks for the link.