Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova Customer Support in USA?

Nova Customer Support in USA?

Seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Last I checked in a year or so ago, I recall good response.

I've tried, since last week, to get some info on the tailstock chuck adaptor shown on the Nova site and so far, my first attempt reached what appeared to be an answering service and no call back. My second call reached an answering machine so I guess that was a bit closer to the target, but still no cigar.

My generally positive experience with the Nova lathe is beginning to fade a bit.

BTW, anyone here know anything about the tailstock adaptor; as in does it exist?

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,

I am ignorant about Nova lathes. Is the tailstock the typical #2 morse taper?

If it is a #2 Morse tape.....I bought this: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...rse_chuck?Args=
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bob, Recently (within the last two-three weeks) there were threads regarding who and what number to call at Teknatool. Apparently they just recently moved their offices. Good Luck!
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bob,

I am ignorant about Nova lathes. Is the tailstock the typical #2 morse taper?

If it is a #2 Morse tape.....I bought this: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...rse_chuck?Args=
    Hi Ken... Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a #2. Looks like that product will work. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ginsberg View Post
    Bob, Recently (within the last two-three weeks) there were threads regarding who and what number to call at Teknatool. Apparently they just recently moved their offices. Good Luck!
    Michael
    Hi Michael... Thanks for the reply. I will do a search. It looks like Tim (last person i spoke to at Tekatool USA) might not be the guy anymore. The current setup seems like a black hole.

In the meantime, I'm going to pick up on Ken's suggestion and get the alternate tool from WTC. Thanks again.

...Bob

Seems like they're really struggling right now. I miss Tim. Fast and complete service with him, no issues at all. Haven't had to deal with the new office and personnel, but it's sounding like they're a bit lost. Hope NOVA can get this figured out. And, that tailstock adapter mentioned should work for you just fine. I can't remember when and where I got mine, either from the site listed above, or off Amazon or somewhere, but I do know that I had it in my hand when the website was only giving a release date for the U.S. market...and I had the actual NOVA tailstock adapter product in my hand...couldn't figure that one out...guess they couldn't either. I like 'em and the product but I'm hating what I'm hearing. And, I hope they're reading up on the creek.

I take it this adaptor is so that you can mount a chuck on the tail stock is tht correct?

I'm on the other side, I had nothing but problems with Tim G. While I have had good results with the new service center. Tim G was slow to repair, even given deadlines. While the new service center has shipped items, when they said they would, every time.
    If you call outside of regular business hours, you will get the answering service
    If you call during regular business hours you will talk to someone, of everyone is not already on a phone-line.

Since I have a Oneway live-center, I bought an adapter that converts the 3/4x10 to 1-1/4x8. Thus allowing me to do the type of operation you want. There are a number of places that sell this type of system
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thiebaut View Post
    I take it this adaptor is so that you can mount a chuck on the tail stock is tht correct?
    Tim,
    where it comes in handy is for centering a bowl or hollowform to turn the tenon off that's in the chuck. This can be used equally well with a vacuumn chuck or a donut chuck. You take the bowl off the spindle leaving the chuck attached. In the case of the donut chuck, you place the donut over the tailstock, and then screw the adapter into the chuck. Then slide the assembled chuck/adapter/morse taper into the tailstock.....bring the tailstock up near the vacuumn chuck or the backing plate of the donut chuck that is mounted on the spindle. Then lock the tailstock....using the quill bring the bowl upto the vacuumn adapter or the donut base plate on the spindle. Turn on the vacuumn or bring the donut off the tailstock and capture the bowl.....install the appropriate bolts. When the vacuumn is great enough or the bolts on the donut chuck are tightened properly, the bowl is perfectly centered. You release the tenon from the chuck by opening the jaws....back the tailstock out of the way.

In short, it allows for perfect centering of a bowl for turning the tenon off and finishing the bottom.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-31-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

CONTACT US
    Got a question on a particular product? Please click here to the particular product's page, and you might find answer to your question on the FAQ section. If you need an answer to a question that you can't find on the site, please CLICK HERE to our Help Desk and submit a your enquiry or within the USA you can phone us toll free on 1-866-748-3025 or +1-727 954 3433. For all phone enquiries outside of the USA call us on +649-477-5600.

Here ya go try this.. I called twice today and was told I would be called back... Well it's now 8:30 pm and no calll good luck

Don't hold your breath. Here is a response from last March.

"Dear Mark:

Thanks for contacting us and your interest in the tailstock chuck adaptor.

Unfortunately this item will not become available until late May. We will send a batch of tailstock adaptors to our US service center via courier. You will be able to purchase from them at that time.

Please feel free to contact me again, should you require any assistance with this matter.

PS: In order to continue improving our product and service. Please take a few minutes to complete a customer satisfaction survey at http://www.teknatool.com/CRM/Feedback.htm and tell us what you think about our customer support.

Yours sincerely"

When they opened their new support center I sent an email. Waited a week and finally got an email from Fan again. This time he just said they were not available. Teknatool's support is sorely lacking in my opinion.

This whole business is very disappointing. When they booted Tim G. out it was supposedly to improve their supprt offerings. So they went from a system that was well received by almost everyone to a much worse system which cannot be reached and will not return calls. Excuses about transitioning offices don't cut it. Those issues can be fixed in one business day. Teknatool needs to get this resolved fast or it will become a big reason to avoid doing business with them.

Big sigh....anybody want to buy a Nova DVR XP lathe???

This has been an interesting thread for me to watch. I recently started turning bowls (been doing pens for about 3 years) and it's become obvious that my Jet mini is only going to take me so far. The DVR XP was the top lathe on my list. Would any of you not buy a this lathe based on this info? I really liked belt-less design of the DVR XP. Are there any other similar units out there? Although it's very possible that by the time I actually have the money saved up for this, these problems may very well be resolved.
    Warren Gibson
    www.signaturepenworks.com
    Denver, NC

Warren, I think that customer service is critical to your satisfaction with a product of this sort. I've got the DVR and love it, but I'm not liking what I read, and have read in the past.

Mark, that's a similar reply that I got from them last year when I bought my tailstock chuck adapter. What makes absolutely no sense to me is that I actually bought that NOVA tailstock chuck adapter, the one showing on their website, the real deal, from another supplier - either Amazon, Packard, Hartville Tool, or Craft Supplies USA (can't remember which). In fact, while my order had been turned in and was being processed, I emailed Teknatool and got my response that it wasn't yet available in the US of A yet from that Fan guy. Then I got my piece like a day or two later. Go figure. Really crazy and I'm just hoping they can get it together.

Warren,
    It is a great lathe and well worth the money (especially when it is on sale). Moving a service center and getting a new person up to speed is not an instantaneous event. Given time to learn all the past product and new ones coming I think it will be a well run center in the near future. There are a couple Nova groups on the internet, the one I run is on the MyFamily site and you can subscribe by sending an email with your first and last name to novauser1@verizon.net There you can ask questions, post your work and see some nice innovations that some of the Nova owners have made to their equipment.
    Bill