Thread: Any alternatives to Kreg Klamp?

Any alternatives to Kreg Klamp?

I ordered some track from 80/20, thinking I'd build a new outfeed table with the ability to be used as a Kreg clamping table. Just wondering if anyone has found any cheaper alternatives to the actual Kreg Klamps. I know in earlier thread, people had identified a Mac tools vise-grip that could be substituted, but that seems to no longer be available... Any other alternatives?

I used 4 of the Kreg tracks (in a square) on my outfeed table and use 3 types of clamps - the Kregs, these pony clamps (which i have the most of): http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vi...down_clamp.htm, and some inexpensive, simple hold down clamps I purchased at Harbor Freight (which I love - can't find them on their website). Can add some pictures when I get home this weekend.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    This style is available in many configurations & price points .....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YK05RRNRYCBZXJ

Just replace the lower mounting nut with a suitable T-Nut.

Interesting, hadn't thought about a screw clamp. I think I'd prefer a vise-grip type, but that is certainly one to keep in mind...

I liked the DP clamp idea until I saw the price--those are almost as bad as the Kregs on Amazon! I was hoping for a replacement for the $10 Mac Tools ones people could buy back in the day...

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Look around ... there are many out there in that price range ... Amazon & GOOGLE are your friends

Last I checked, the Mac ones were going for as much or more than the Kreg ones on Ebay. And IIRC they aren't as nice. It doesn't help you, but Menards has them with the little slotted plate you can mortise into your bench and they put them on sale occasionally.

Blog Entries
    yup, derrell beat me to it but HF has the same clamp for $8 and it works great cause i have one on my drill press, very heavy duty and you cant beat the price!

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...amp-36221.html

The HF screw is too big to fit in the track. The Kreg unit has a very narrow track which is why no other off the shelf clamp fits. I just confirmed that on my Kreg track.

Quote Originally Posted by roman fedyk View Post
    The HF screw is too big to fit in the track. The Kreg unit has a very narrow track which is why no other off the shelf clamp fits. I just confirmed that on my Kreg track.
    The OP is using 80/20, not Kreg track. Do you know the screw size on the HF clamp? It could still fit.

The bolt is 1/2" and about 2" long

At $8, it's worth a shot. Worst comes to worst, I'll use it w/my metalworking DP as HF intended...

The kreg klamps fit in 5/16 track but not 1/4 inch track. It is likely that you could replace the screw with a smaller head and get it to work in 1/4 inch track. I've never needed to replace the screw so I haven't bothered to find out what size it is.

I think the rubber pad on the kreg klamp is a good/useful feature. I also like having the different length reaches. There is a standard and a longer reach klamp. It is a tool which is worth the premium price, IMO.

I use kreg klamps most often when I use the Domino.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....