Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC Steel Duct Install

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Probably won't hurt to mention that the smoke given off from welding galvanized steel is not very good for you so be careful!

+1 Breathing the fumes can make you really really sick. They call it metal fume fever.

Redundancy

I think that you're right Ole; in some circles the engineers spend a lot of time designing redundancy! I just got out muh welder - and suspenders.

ULtimately its all a matter of price, and most products are designed to sell the maximum # of units at the lowest, or nearly so, possible price. A good example of this is the Porter-Cable router I recently bought for around $160, a tool that previously cost about $300 and I was suspicious of the price - and rightly so. It had a plastic part in it that broke even before I ever turned it on (I pushed a lever the wrong way, trying to understand how it worked). They sent me a new one and that one burned up within week of light use. I should have known better, the price was too good.

So, who's to blame? OTOH sometimes we get more than we pay for like the Delta DC I just bought for less than $400. Such experiences lead us down the primrose path of expecting much while paying little.

Blog Entries

Howdy:

Hey there, Ole.

Any chance that you could "share" with us the cheat sheet from Oneida?

I, for one, have been going nuts trying to get a good looking 45 degree bend in the adjustable els. Mine never seem to be able to stay in the same plane--wandering all over the place. Yea, I'm a real novice at sheet metal work but I'm hopefully not alone in not being able to get a smooth arc for a 45 bend!

Blog Entries
    Mike,

I have a 4 meg .PDF from Oneida titled "Ductwork Resource Kit" which is a plethora of good duct work design and installation tips including the 45 degree tip. Can anyone tell me how to post it? PM me with your email and I will send you a copy. The basic tip is to mark each joint when the ell in a good 90 degree bend position using a marker, then rotate each section 90 degrees alternating directions with each section. But first, and this isn't mentioned in the manual, you want to mark where that 90 degree position is by marking 1/4 of the circumference. Guessing the 90 doesn't work.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-22-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Ole

Would you mind sending me a copy as well if you could.
    I PM'd my email to you.

Thanks

I'd like a copy, too. PM sent. Perhaps you can find a hosting site for others?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have a 4 meg .PDF from Oneida titled "Ductwork Resource Kit"
    Is it this ?

If so ... it IS a great resource.

Might save you a couple of e-mails, if it's the same one

Blog Entries
    Neil,

The file I have is more comprehensive at 38 pages instead of 10 pages, but page 7 in the Oneida web PDF you posted is the instructions for rotating an ell to get a 45, the same page 28 in the larger file. Creekers are limited to posting a 1 meg PDF. I don't know where to get the larger file hosted. Meanwhile I will email copies out.