Thread: Baby changing table

Baby changing table

I remember there was a thread from last week looking for ideas for a baby changing table. Well, I got a new digital camera this week (stealth gloat). So Here's a couple pics of MY interpretation of a baby chaning table. I made this when my son was born, but now it is mostly a toy / game cabinet. This design proved to be very functional. The drawers stored diapers and wipes, and the cabinet stored surpluss diapers, blankets, and baby stuff. We had a sheepskin in the top for comfort. The sides are tall enough to keep baby from rolling out...

The idea came from plans from a Norm Abram book. He designed a Shaker washstand. I made it wider with two doors and drawers, instead of one. The top is pine and the sides are flared out 5*. All corners are dovetailed. This was a very complicated setup to cut. I cut all the pins on my tablesaw with a box joint jig, and my miter gauge at 15*. I used my Craftsman Excaliber dado for this. The tails were cut with a 9" delta bandsaw. The front of the carcasse is also pine. I used the dado blade and a homemade jig to raise the panels. The drawers are also dovetailed, but hard to see in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

That looks like a very nice piece for your nursery. It is a little different, but I love the dovetails and the fit of the doors looks just right. I am sure no baby is going to roll out of that! By the way, you advice on the DJ-20 problem was appreciated, but now my house burned down! I actually got it changed over to 110 and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Smith
    By the way, you advice on the DJ-20 problem was appreciated, but now my house burned down! I actually got it changed over to 110 and it works great.
    I hope you're kidding... Glad that your jointer works great on 110v anyway.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Scott, I really like how you adapted the dry sink for this purpose. I'll likely be doing on of these things later in the year for a friend, assuming she achieves her pregnancy goal, and will be doing something with the "tray", too. Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Scott

Scott good idea of adapting and making it good looking and functional...
    Jerry