Thread: French Cleat question

French Cleat question

What is the minimum distance required above the top beveled edge of the wall mounted pc that will allow mounting and dismounting of the mating pc? I suppose this is determined by how wide the mating cleat is, correct? But how much extra clearance should I allow for mounting?

What I mean is for a near-ceiling wall cleat.

Blog Entries
    You're right on the width of the mating piece plus a little to get it over the wall mounted cleat. You'll only be able to get as close to the ceiling as the depth of the mating cleat cut ( I don't know what else to call it ) All that I just said is assuming the cabinet mounted half of the cleat is flush with the top the top of the cabinet.

Assuming your cleats are cut at 45 degrees, the lift ("extra clearance") to get the acute points past one another is equal to the thickness of the cleat material. Once the points are clear of one another and assuming the wall is perfectly flat, the vertical drop into locked position is also equal to the cleat thickness.
    Unless you want to find out the hard way that conditions in the wild are rarely ideal, give yourself a bit more---say, 1/8 to 1/4" over cleat thickness. DAMHIKT

BobV

Blog Entries
    This far . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vallaster View Post
    Assuming your cleats are cut at 45 degrees, the lift ("extra clearance") to get the acute points past one another is equal to the thickness of the cleat material. Once the points are clear of one another and assuming the wall is perfectly flat, the vertical drop into locked position is also equal to the cleat thickness.
    Unless you want to find out the hard way that conditions in the wild are rarely ideal, give yourself a bit more---say, 1/8 to 1/4" over cleat thickness. DAMHIKT

BobV
    I guess I knew that just wanted to make sure. I think I'll leave an extra quarter inch to be safe.