Thread: Looking for a laser friendly self-adhesive foil / similar to what plotters use

Looking for a laser friendly self-adhesive foil / similar to what plotters use

Hi guys,

i am in need for some recommendations regarding a two-layerd laser friednly foil that can be kiss-cut and transfered to other materials:

a) for textiles and b) self adhesive for e.g. 'sign-making'-purposes.

I know Romark has some, but their colors are quite limited. I am ideally looking for a broad range of colors (maybe even neon) and surfaces (glossy, matte).

Is there something comparable to all those PVC-foils that are used in the plotter-world? I found some foils that are PU (polyurethane), mounted on a polyester-backing.

Anyone any experience with something similar?
    Anyone working with foils and laser on a regular basis?

Thanks + kind regards,
    Steffen

Oracal makes a vinyl for signs. They have a color swatch book you can get from sign supply companies. In that booklet, they have a specialty section. In there, there are polyester films, Series 351, gold, silver, chrome. I've not cut any of them on the laser, but it's all product made for signs, so you might want to check into them. Oracal makes a great product and they are reasonably priced.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Laserbits sells Laser Foil. It comes in 8? colors. Here is the link laserbitsdotcom/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72_212
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-07-2011 at 7:00 AM. Reason: removed link
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Thanks for the responses so far!

Blog Entries
    Greg,

This isn't a want ad, it's a request for material suggestions.

Oh, and Keith doesn't necessarily read every post, so if you want him to see something specific you need to PM him and point it out. Maybe a couple thousand posts per day here, that would be difficult for someone to read 24/7...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Exactly, Dan
    Back to not kidding: anyone else with experience lasering foil?

Hi Steffen,

look at www.oracover.de they have what you're looking for.

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Andrea to the rescue Thank you very much - perfect link as well.

Meanwhile i found flex and flock-foil (correct expression?!) for use on textiles with heat transfer presses, might be of interest some day:
    http://de.poli-flex.de/_ssf-F6aWr3/p...x_premium.html

Let's talk soon, shall we?

Steffen

I tried some of the Oracal this afternoon, worked like a charm. I used it pretty much
    like I think you'd use the LaserFoil .. peeled off the backing, smoothed it out on the
    wood, vector cut the logo and then weeded. I'll put a finish over it to seal it up, but
    it looked like brass inlay.