Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renting shop time

I do that with a couple buddies now...none of has everything we need, so we visit the other guy's big sander, big mortiser, etc. It's understood that no money needs to change hands, but we all feel better about 'imposing' if we drop a twenty on the table when we leave.

If the insurance can be worked out, I think it's a wonderful idea. Always more fun to work with 'company'...

KC

Had a school teacher friend that tried this. Great Idea, everyone would be banging the door down??? He found for every hour he rented, he spend an equal amount of time picking up cleaning and replacing supplies, not to speak of retuning and sharpening his tools. Noone cleans up the the dust and cutoofs, takes the bit out of the outer and puts it away. Chisels are used for screw drivers and palnes aare set on the tablesaw cast iron. Most who do not own power equipment did not know how to use it so you will probably do 80% of the work. Every tool was Forced to its limit, reducing lifetime.

He found it to be a bummer that everytime he wanted work on his own projects, he had to sharpen the chisel, drill bit, take the bit out out of the router, order a new bit assomeone had chiped it and but it back in the case, or sharpen the the jointer blades as someone had run a piece through with brads or screws in the piece.

He felt he had to charge $40 an hour just to cover his time and tool damage. No liabitiy as he could not get it for his home shop.

Nights and weekends a must. He though he had patience, but had frazled nerves watching people abuse equipment he had scrimped and saved a lifetime for.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie Grammon
    If that's the case, then why do we open the doors to our closest friends? Is this a real risk.......opening myself up to the insurance companies cleaning my assets out? I hadn't thought about it much until now.

Arnie
    I've had two injuries requiring medical treatment (neither one shop related, btw) in the last several years. One at home, and one at a neighbor's, while I was helping hime out.

In both instances, about two or three weeks later, I got a form from my insurance company wanting to know the circumstances of the injury, where it happened, name and address of the 'responsible party' and, if possible, who their insurance carrier was. In both cases, I indicated that the injury happened in my own back yard... BTW, my medical insurance carrier at the time was HealthNet of California.

Jim,

That's exactly what I mean about folks that ABSOLUTELY won't sue you.

Personally, I try not to deal with ANYBODY that wouldn't take full responsibility for their own actions.

You sound like the kinda guy who I would let use my tools.

Be good!

Steve,
    Great Idea. If you can get buy the insurance questions.
    I was thinking of coming by and resawing some cherry, but didn't want to impose on you. I'm willing to pay for shop time.

Herb
    Herb
    Carrollton, Texas

Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abraham Lincoln

shop time

Steve,
    You said to leave the insurance out so I will (there is an awful lot to leave out ). I do not know about you but, I have a very hard time lending out my tools to anyone! I just do not know If I could bare to see someone using my machines. I guess I have gotten so use to working alone another person in the shop would be very odd to me, but maybe you are different.

Steve,
    I would jump at the opportunity if I were in your neck of the woods. Spending a few bucks for a few hours to see how someone else sets up a shop and uses their tools would be invaluable to beginners.
    -Rob