Thread: New underwater discovery

Wink New underwater discovery

I just had a new friend bring some red oak lumber by that he found a cache of while cleaning out a marina location near Mobile Bay in South Alabama. It has worm holes and circular saw marks and is estimated from the growth rings to be around 100 years old. Most of it is from 2-3" thick, 10-20in wide and 10-12ft long. Also found were some old growth cypress logs. My question is How to go about the salvage process of storing and drying the lumber. What should be done and what should be avoided.
    Any info will be appreciated
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Mosley View Post
    I just had a new friend bring some red oak lumber by that he found a cache of while cleaning out a marina location near Mobile Bay in South Alabama. It has worm holes and circular saw marks and is estimated from the growth rings to be around 100 years old. Most of it is from 2-3" thick, 10-20in wide and 10-12ft long. Also found were some old growth cypress logs. My question is How to go about the salvage process of storing and drying the lumber. What should be done and what should be avoided.
    Any info will be appreciated
    Thanks
    If the wood was used underwater you want to be very careful not to dry it too quickly. Target 1% - 1.5% moisture content reduction per day or it will check very badly. Initial drying should be done around 95%RH. Don't have him store it outside in the sun for several days either.

WRAP IT on the trailer when it is brought back - the wind rushing past the green (and wet) boards will severely damage them.

Scott you are a heck of a resource here!!!

Scott;
    Your information is very much appreciated. We shall proceed with caution per your suggestions.

Thanks Ken Mosley