Thread: Question on shaper cutters

Question on shaper cutters

I have a shaper that I got from my uncle quite a while back but actually haven't used it much. Its an older Craftsman with the 1/2" spindle. I have been doing some cabinet work lately and I have been using a set of 1/2" shank cabinet door bit set for my router that I use in my router table. However I have issues with inconsistent cuts from time to time due to some flexing.

I've been thinking about picking up a rail and stile set for the shaper and try it. Has anyone had much experience in the reversible sets? The two cutter sets seem to be pretty much out of my price range(several hundreds of $) given the little I am going to use it. When I got the shaper I got the usual set of steel cutters and a Bosch raised panel Ogee cutter, so all I really need is the rail and stiles and I'd be set.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Matt like you I also have a shaper and only use it for stiles/rails and for raising panels.One of the problems using a shaper the material needs to be as flat as possible cause the cutters work from the bottom side of the material.This can be avoided by using a block of wood to help keep the material down against the table.What I use is the wheels from roller blades to help w/keeping the wood down on the table.What ever you buy I think will be better and more consistent than using a router.Post some pics love to see your setup----Carroll

try corob cutters. there prices are good. that said i would try to work out the issues with the router setup. router cutters are so much cheeper. try fether boards etc to solve the flex issues

I haven't used them, but I happened to see a great price on "Reversible S Ogee Stile/Rail Shaper Cutter Set AMANA" on certain auction sites. There aren't very many cutters available in 1/2", so you'll likely need some adapters for whatever you choose.

Most of the 3/4 spindle cutters comes w/adapters for 1/2 spindles.Like David said, Amana is a good brand and is what I have and better quality compared to the Giz brand but are fairly cheap---Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    I haven't used them, but I happened to see a great price on "Reversible S Ogee Stile/Rail Shaper Cutter Set AMANA" on certain auction sites. There aren't very many cutters available in 1/2", so you'll likely need some adapters for whatever you choose.

I have seen those particular Amana cutters and thats what got me thinking about trying them. I do have the collars for going from 3/4" down to 1/2" so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks guys for the input and I'll check out Corob Dan.

Do anyone of you use a jig similar to this for cutting the rails? Saw it in Rocklers website and thought I may have to adapt it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I have a Woodhaven sled. Medium size. It is the same concept but has more and better hold downs. It is very secure. There are plans out there for making your own but by the time I priced in the components I figured my safety wasn't worth the small difference in cost.

My dad gave me his older craftsman shaper when he retired and relocated last year. I have a few other shapers of the larger variety, but his was sentimental to me, though not so much that it would have a home in my shop if if didn't work. I have stacked 3/4" sets, so I bushed one up from 1/2" and, on the cope it stopped the spindle dead. IMO those old 1/2 hp open drip motors were weak, not much use. So I threw a grizzly 1 1/2hp tefc motor on it, whole different thing. Works great for me as a coping machine, I leave the cope set on it for a job whenever making doors. I can't imagine doing the molding cuts with it in any hard wood as is, nor could I see it pushing a panel raiser any better than a router table. My point, you may have to change motors to do anything with it.

As to the reversible sets, they are fine if you like the profile they make. Not so good for flat panels using man made materials as you can't really shim the sets to match the panel thickness I think. There are also sets with a single cutter that has both cope and stick on one head, you just change heights. Again, with these you loose control of panel tongue adjustability, so 5.5MM material may be a problem if you like flat panels. Otherwise they work as well as anything.