Thread: Spiral ducting

Spiral ducting

I am getting ready to pull the triger on DC ducting. I was originally going to go with Nordfab ducting, but have recently been swayed somewhat to change my mind and go with Spiral instead. From my understanding it has some kind of coating inside that helps particulate not to stick, and is considerably less cost than the Nordfab. Any feedback or opinions (on subject!) would be appreciated.

ATSM 2729 PVC is cheaper. Much cheaper. If you have decided against it...ignore my post.

3. I'm in the process of installing a dust collection system in my new shop and decided on using Lindab spiral duct and am very pleased (lindabusa.com). If you can find a supplier in your area that will sell to you at contractor's prices, the cost is about a wash, comparing it to PVC. It's easy to use--the pipe slips over double gasketed fittings. I'm sealing each connection with aluminum tape, but sheet metal screws or rivets can also be used.

I have been using 6'' spiral ductwork that I purchased locally for app. 31.00 a stick, it does have a coating inside, I can't say that it helps for sure but have had no problems and am quite happy.
    YOURS TRULY,
    DARIN

I too am in the process of purchasing and installing the ductwork for my DC system and decided on using the 26ga metal pipe. From what I have read, others have used this and not had any issues (but please correct me if I am wrong). I found a place locally that will sell me all the pieces at a great price, compared to anything else I can get. We're talking about 6x6x6 wye's for $6, 6x6x4 wye's for $5, and 6"x60" pipe for $5+. I couldn't find any S&D pvc that would come close to those prices, even direct from a distributor.

Blog Entries
    I don't see the advantage of spiral over snap lock 26 ga. other than it looks fancier. 5 foot stick of 6" snap lock, 26 ga is about $7 at the BORG. And 6" wyes for $6 is an absolute steal. Be careful, sometimes the BORG will carry the thin 30 ga, you don't want that.

Edit: ok, spiral is rounder than snap lock and you don't have the hassle of snap locking the seam, and if the joints are gasketed, that certainly has some value.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-06-2011 at 7:01 PM.

I'm currently running 6" 24 ga spiral duct in my shop, and am pleased with it. I bought mine from McMaster Carr, but Penn State sells what appears to be the same thing for about 20 bucks per 5' length. I'm welding mine together with silicon bronze filler, and also made my own wye's from straight tubing and the Harderwoods joint template program.

Mine does not have an interior coating, nor would I want one due to welding concerns. Penn state also sells couplers that you can pop rivet in place if you are not comfortable with brazing. I chose brazing because that is the standard proceedure in commercial facilities.

When selecting my ducting I compared pricing between PVC and snap-lock and found the snap-lock to be cheaper - mostly due to the cost of any wyes or bends. I'm running a 2 HP Grizzly and have had no issues with the stuff you buy at the BORG. There's a guy in my WW club running the same ducting from a 5 HP unit without any issues. I'm not sure if it's actually worth the extra expense in buying the heavier gauge.

JMHO - John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

I installed 26 ga spiral pipe in my shop. I was able to purchase the pipe and elbows for a very good price from my local HVAC distributor. The price was actually better than Oneida's snap-lock pipe and much easier to use. I used an abrasive metal-cutting blade on my chop saw to cut the pipe. My wye's came from from Spiral Manufacturing. There's no coating on my spiral pipe.