Thread: Good book on building design

Good book on building design

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a technical book on building design. By building design I mean basic 1-2 story building construction using wood framing. I don't want to become an architect or anything, but I'm currently designing a dream shop. I doubt I'll ever get to build it, but it's fun to model some of my ideas in SketchUp. I'm trying to span a 30' long distance without having any center supports. I'm sure there are a bunch of ways of doing this, but since this is a mostly intellectual exercise it got me thinking about different architecture techniques and the ability to handle load for a given span, etc.... Again I'm not looking to become a professional, and I understand that any book I read will only give me a small percentage of the knowledge needed since there are so many variables, but I enjoy learning.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Stephen,
    I can recommend two: Building Construction Illustrated by Francis Ching ISBN 0 - 442 - 21532 - 0; and Adding On by Rodale Press ISBN 0 - 87596 - 769 - 8

The first will show details of construction, the second will show the steps of how to do it.

Adding On is aimed at the the remodeler, but shows how to add an addition from the ground (or below ground - basement) up.

Both are written for the layman and are easy to understand. The first is mostly architectural drawings so you need the second to choose the drawings to look at in the first (if that makes any sense to you)

There is also a book put out by the US military on building a building. Very basic, step by step, instructions and would recommend that if I knew the title. I looked at it, but did not buy it so I cant give you the title. It is probably online as it was issued during WWII and is now in public domain.

Mike
    Last edited by mike holden; 02-06-2011 at 4:27 PM. Reason: .
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

As a suggestion, you may want to design a timber frame shop. It incorporates much of the joinery of woodworking. Two books would be good: The Timber-Frame Home: Design, Construction, Finishing and Building the Timber Frame House: The Revival of a Forgotten Art. Both by Tedd Benson. You may have modern techniques also to span 30' unsupported if that is critical.

Another vote for the Francis Ching book. I got it my freshman year of architecture school and still refer to it when I need to explain to someone how things go together.

For a 30' clear span, you're likely talking heavy timber, LVL, or steel frame. Not too many ways I'd recommend doing it out of dimensional lumber.

5. Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    As a suggestion, you may want to design a timber frame shop. It incorporates much of the joinery of woodworking. Two books would be good: The Timber-Frame Home: Design, Construction, Finishing and Building the Timber Frame House: The Revival of a Forgotten Art. Both by Tedd Benson. You may have modern techniques also to span 30' unsupported if that is critical.
    For anyone interested... www.bensonwood.com is the company Tedd Benson started and has been featured on This Old House.

Thanks for the responses, I ordered these books from Amazon, can't wait to read them.

-Stephen