Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New wiring to planer, Talk me down from the ledge.

Thanks for all of your repsonses.

Looks like I will run a new cable, I just have to replace single breakers with tandems to make room.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gerken View Post

Looks like I will run a new cable, I just have to replace single breakers with tandems to make room.
    Good answer!

Ok,

Easy solution, swap out electric stove/oven for gas. Run 110v line for gas stove. Hijack old stove/oven line for shop :-)

I purchased a new planer 220V 18 amp single phase. I need to get power to it. Almost right above the planer is a J-box that connects to our oven 220v 30 amp single phase.

We hardly ever use our oven. And when we do it is for pizza or something like that and I am not in the shop when that happens, just my wife and I in our house. We have a separate cook top, which is used 99% of the time and is on a totally separate circuit.

Here is the part that will have some people freaking out. You know where I am going with this. I plan to wire from the J box to the new planer. The cables into and out of the j-box are both 4 wire. Black, red, white, and green. The new planer diagram shows (in) as a black, white, and green. So I am 95% sure that the correct thing to do is black to black, red (into j-box) to white (out to planer) and green to green. The white on the incoming feed is not needed for the planer or the stove. According to the product data for the oven, the white is only needed in some jurisdictions, which tell me its not all that important. If I understand this correctly the cable from the J box to the planer could be 12 gauge 3 wire.

So, are my assumptions correct and is there any reason why I should not do this?

The only thing keeping me from running a new cable / breaker is the cost. I can do it, but why?

Thanks for your help

Yes, as Bruce wrote-good answer!

If your panel is that tight on space, then you should consider adding a subpanel now and use it to feed your shop.