Thread: Straightening a band saw blade?

Straightening a band saw blade?

Folks,

I'm looking for a little guidance here. I have a Felder bandsaw (which I love). It came with three blades which seem to work pretty well, so I have not so far invested in any others. Unfortunately, my widest blade (just under 1"), has acquired a little kink in it - I must have done something weird to it the last time I coiled or uncoiled it. I tried just putting it in the machine and leaving it there for a week with the tension on the blade, but the kink is still there. It runs ok, but does kind of hit the guides when it comes past, and makes for a wavy cut. So, my question is whether this is something I should/could bash back into shape with a wooden mallet, or a small hammer, or whether I should consider this toast and invest in a new blade (ie, is the structure so undermined that it is going to snap on the saw very soon).

all decent and reasonably safe ideas accepted!

thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heaney View Post
    Folks,

I'm looking for a little guidance here. I have a Felder bandsaw (which I love). It came with three blades which seem to work pretty well, so I have not so far invested in any others. Unfortunately, my widest blade (just under 1"), has acquired a little kink in it - I must have done something weird to it the last time I coiled or uncoiled it. I tried just putting it in the machine and leaving it there for a week with the tension on the blade, but the kink is still there. It runs ok, but does kind of hit the guides when it comes past, and makes for a wavy cut. So, my question is whether this is something I should/could bash back into shape with a wooden mallet, or a small hammer, or whether I should consider this toast and invest in a new blade (ie, is the structure so undermined that it is going to snap on the saw very soon).

all decent and reasonably safe ideas accepted!

thanks

Mike
    I have never been able to completely get rid of a kink in a BS band. IF the blade is worth it I would take it to a local shop that welds blades have then cut the kink out and reweld it. They should be able to do it without taking more than an inch. If it isn't worth that trouble I would trash it. I can't make the judgement since I don't know what kind of blade nor the condition yours is in.

I'm w/Van on this one: hard to make it smooth again once dinged. I dinged an expensive carbide bandsaw blade once (Lenox Trimaster) and I ended up sending the ~$200 blade to a shop down south and they rewelded in a new chunk and sent it back for $30. I wouldn't say it is as good as new but darn close. Regarldess, you'll end up with 3 welds on the blade versus one.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I'm w/Van on this one: hard to make it smooth again once dinged. I dinged an expensive carbide bandsaw blade once (Lenox Trimaster) and I ended up sending the ~$200 blade to a shop down south and they rewelded in a new chunk and sent it back for $30. I wouldn't say it is as good as new but darn close. Regarldess, you'll end up with 3 welds on the blade versus one.

First, if it is a carbide blade you may not end up with a local shop capable of welding it, if it is a carbide blade, post again for suggestions on shops that can weld it.

You may not have to add a piece back depending on the length of the blade and your saw. Most saws will handle a blade 1 inch shorter than the "normal" size for the saw. Thats what I meant when I said cut and reweld.

Well, MY ding was such that the shop replaced ~18" of my blade and the blade was a 2/3 var. pitch on top of that. I don't think there is any mysterious about rewelding a carbide bandsaw blade...the band is metal like most other blades. So in my case, I did end up with 3 welds on the blade.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I don't think there is any mysterious about rewelding a carbide bandsaw blade...the band is metal like most other blades. \
    Trust me, there is a lot more to welding a carbide blade tipped BS band than a carbon band. Remember the carbide teeth are BRAZED on. There are a LOT of suppliers that can do it BUT unless they handle carbide blades (a lot of industrial supplies don't) you do NOT want them anywhere near your carbide or stellite tipped blades!

It is true some damage is worse than others, if it isn't a single hard kink that can be cut out and rewelded unless it is a carbide blade are a almost new bi-metal blade it is probably not worth it. The one time I had a double kink in a long band I just had it shortened for one of my other saws, which is an option if you have a smaller saw also.

I have gone to storing my carbide blades on 4 dowels in the wall, with the two in the middle close together making a nice tight figure 8 which reduces the chance of damage from folding and unfolding them not to mention the potential damage to me!

Personally, I've never had any luck straightening bent or kinked BS blades. Perhaps others have better methods and more success.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln