Thread: Columbus Wood Show Report

Columbus Wood Show Report

Well despite not seeing any fellow forum members I had a good time at the Columbus Wood Show today. For the first time in years the sun was out, usually the wood show weekend has a snow storm or 6” of slushy rain. As always I attended with my Dad and Uncle. And as always the show was packed to capacity, although the price is now $10 - $1 coupon. Here is my take:

Delta, Powermatic, General, Jet, Porter Cable, were absent as the large Columbus dealer stopped participating in the show years ago and runs their own show the same weekend. In the past a dealer from Indy or Cincy came, but no larger tools and fewer portable hand tools to look at this year. DeWalt, Makita, and Bosch did have a presence, and few: others Fein, Milwaukee (I think), Trend (WoodCraft), and some no name stuff. Mini Max and Laguna also had their show booths.

Other changes include TWC almost taking over, Peachtree also had a lot of booth space, these guys sell a lot of stuff from name brand tools to junk Asian imports. Kreg had a much larger booth then in years past with several new products, Leigh, Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley, Tormek, the Forrest Blade guy, Jointech, Gripper, Freud, CMT, Little Giant, and many others all had quality displays and some good pricing. There was plenty to see and learn. My Dad caught a couple seminars and reported they were very good.

I had a small but lively list, and believe I did well, Lee Valley honored my gift certificate at the show (way to go Lee Valley ), so I ordered the bull nose plane (on back order until Feb) and the Gripper DVD. I stopped by the Lie-Nielsen booth and fondled the tools for a good long time – man I want a 4-1/2 york pitch. I ended up with a nice LN hat, and a couple more planes were added to my list. I also picked up a half dozen 12” adhesive sanding disks from the closeout guy in the corner for $1.75, the disks look as good as any others I’ve seen, and at the best price around. (My Dad bought a huge assortment of name brand bits and blades from them for $75). My main target for the show was a set of forstner bits, but I really didn’t see anything that appealed to me for the price, so I’ll keep looking. So with a little extra tool show money burning a hole in my pocket I sprung for the new Kreg Jig band saw fence. They had a show special and I really liked the one they had on display. This was a fairly impulse buy, but hey, it’s the tool show – you never know what you are going to find. Kreg also has a new mitre gauge that looked very nice and some great package deals on their pocket hole jig. Kreg was also a major sponsor and is definitely stepping up their game, so hopefully we’ll me more great products from Kreg. Lastly, I have an Amazon gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket, so I’ll likely pull the trigger on a pin nailer soon. Still debating between PC, Senco, and Bostitch, but all are quality guns it appears.

So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it, I ended the day with a stop at Meijer who was having half off all clearance toys, so the kids also did very well today. I even picked up a new DVD for the wife.

For me the shows are always enjoyable, a combination of time with my family, new tools, and learning a thing or two as well.

Take Care – John

Sounds like you had a good time, John. So, tell me...How did the Dad vs. Uncle vs. John competition go in regards to one out-buying the other? Sounds to me like you "behaved" yourself!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I was there all day on Friday. I had a good time for the most part, just killing a day!

Parts of the show looked like walking around at a flea market. Jesada was there with a bunch of bits that looked like they had been shipped around the world a few times. But they were giving 20-25% off of the 2002 catalog prices. I got myself one 1"x2" rabbeting bit for $16, just so I could do some comparing of brands, since I have always bragged on Jesada as being one of the best.

I was very disapointed in Woodpecker with there so called show specials. I had planned on picking up the PRL lift. But with no price cut compared to their web site, I decided to pass this time.

Leigh did not have any merchandise on hand. If you bought something from them, it was an order.

I wanted to get one of the vice grips pliers from Kreg, but after waiting in line for 20 minutes, I decided the $2.50 discount wasn't worth standing there half the day.

This show needs to grow in room size, as this place was very crowded. Many people had to wait 45 minutes or more just to get in at the opening of the show on Friday. Myself included.

Like was stated; $10 door price, plus $4 to park, I bought a ham & cheese sandwich, king size bag of M&M`s and a medium sized drink, this was $11.

I did buy a set of 5 flat table clamps from All in one clamps, along with the circular saw, and router plates to go with them. The package concisted of 1-24" single, 1-36" single, 1-50" single, and 2-50" back to backs. All told it set me back $234 for this bunch of clamps and plates.

Also bought 2 straight line toggle clamps for $8 each.

I gave myself a budget of $350 for the day including filling the truck up with $57 worth of diesel. (It was really my wife that set the budget, but don't tell anyone! ) And I made it home with about $2 in my pocket! I just couldn't decide what I wanted for $2 other wise, I'd made it home broke!

I went saturday afternoon for the first time. I didn't have anything special in mind but was hoping to get ideas for jointers and bandsaws. Unfortunately there were no jointers and only big $$$$ bandsaws. I did stop by the Lee Vlley display and ordered a card scraper set but after parking and entry I only ended up saving a dollar. Not quite the deal I was hoping for. Probably the best part of my visit was the Leigh D4 demo. I have had one in the box for 6 months and have been a bit intimidated by the "setup hurdles" I keep reading about. It was good to see it in action, even if I won't be cutting quite as fast as the salesguy.

All in all, if I have a specific acessory that I need next year I may go back, otherwise my time would have been better spent working on some of my backlog of projects.