Thread: New DeWalt compact router

New DeWalt compact router

Has anyone used the new DeWalt DWP611 Compact Router? I just ordered one because I like some of it's features that my Bosch Colt doesn't have like two LED lights and a different and perhaps better height adjustment system. I'm interested in any feedback from owners.
    Last edited by Robert Chapman; 02-07-2011 at 3:46 PM.

I bought one at the end of December and have used it a couple of times and really like it. It is easy to set up and use. While the LEDs add some light, without dust removal all you see is the pile of chips coming off the bits. But all in all, I like it given the limited use so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Has anyone used the new DeWalt DWP611 Compact Router? I just ordered one because I like some of it's features that my Bosch Colt doesn't have like two LED lights and a different and perhaps better height adjustment system. I'm interested in any feedback from owners.
    Yeah, the colt height adjustment adjustment is pretty poor compared to the Dewalt. I haven't seen the Dewalt, but I've seen the PC. The whole router is just better in every way to the Colt, IMHO. I really liked my Colt but the DW/PC is just a better router.

Thanks George - I should have done a search.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Thanks George - I should have done a search.
    You're welcome...but I'm not a "Search!" nazi...forums would become lonely places if not for reposts. I just remembered Bill did a pretty exhaustive review and would be of value. I'll be getting one myself!

Good on you George! Search nazis and RTFM nazis drive me nuts. Always be helpful... that's the way to go. And you are correct, if it weren't for reposts (many of them mine) it WOULD be a lonely place. To the OP, I am SO interested in the variable speed version of this router. I am thinking of switching over. I REALLY want to know your impression of the depth adjustment (should you get one).

Mike

I got a chance to hold one of these with the fixed base in my hands on Friday at a local store. Its a little fatter than a Bosch Colt so not quite as comfortable to hold. But that's pretty much the only thing the Colt has on it. The design is pretty much the same as its big brother DW618 which I have. The depth adjustment is much more controllable and its much easier to get the motor out of the base. They didn't have a plunge base on display but it looks again like a scaled down version of the DW618. I think it could be better suited to almost everything I personally use a plunge base for. One big think I think it would be nicer for is plunging shelf pin holes simply due to the fact it would be significantly lighter.

I'll eventually buy one--I'd probably already have one but we've had a lot of unexpected expenses so far this year all of which happened after I bought a j/p combo machine

I have the 611pk. What I like the most about it is the size and weight. It is very easy to handle and move around. I'm cutting a lot of slots from small boards. This was difficult with my Bosch 1617 because of the larger base. With the 611 it is a breeze.

There is a large difference in power but so far this has not been an issue for any of my cuts. I find myself reaching for the 611 more often then the 1617 except when I need to make an obvious power cut.

If there is a "con" to this router it is the 1/4" collet restriction which I'm told can be modified (but not recommended). However, I recently bought an inexpensive set of 1/4" bits from eBay so now I have 1/4" and 1/2" bit set routers.

Highly recommended.

I bought one but haven't really used it. However, I'm having some difficulty locating the dust collection adapters for it. There is only one source for the plunge base dust collection adapter (DNP616) and I haven't found any sources for the fixed base dust collection adapter (DNP615).

You should have a local tool store that focuses on contractors / cabinet shops, and carries DeWalt. They should be able to order it for you, or you can try your local DeWalt service center.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    +1 on Bill's review. It sold me so I ordered one. I've used it a few times and I love it. Much easier to use than the Colt AND it has a plunge base.