Thread: Finished Craftsman TS Extension/Which jointer

Finished Craftsman TS Extension/Which jointer

Ok two parts here.

1. Finished my routert able extension and moving my fence on my Craftsman 22114. Came out well I think. I got the laminate in this week and finshed here up. First picture is of my saw complete with my two "shop helpers". The little Brittany is a heck of a pheasant dog. He's my buddy, hence his name Buddy. The male chocolate lab is my burly retrieving buddy (as that dang brittany will not retrieve anything let alone a dead bird but will point and hold ALL day long, you can push him on his side while on point and he maintains his body psoture) named Grizzly. He is going to be huge. Only 8 months old and 80+ pounds all ready solid muscle. Will post descriptions with the pictures as I post them. If you missed my first thread it is here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=3716

In this picture you can see my ongoing progress of the shop storage project. I am into cars also so my garage has got to be usable for working on the car. Last minute "I broke something on the Stang before drag weekend" thrashes. Have a 1990 LX with a 381 HP, 463 TQ at the rear wheels with a 347 CI naturallt asperated Mustang. Runs in the 11's all day long.

2. Going to be getting a jointer this payday possibly. Debating between a dust collection unit and the jointer to me the jointer is winning.

Have saved enough of my "allowance" and worked enough overtime to do so. Looking aroung the $500 range and want to get a solid jointer. Wants:
    - 6" stand alone, not bench top
    - 120/240V capable
    - longest bed possible
    Have been thinking Grizzly, Delta, Craftsman and Bridgewood almost in that order. If you had 500 bones which would you throw it on machinewise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Sanko; 01-16-2005 at 7:05 AM.

Here is fitup following routing out for the plate. Woodpeckers plate and I bought the template to do it. I love the plate.

The extension is lag bolted to the cast iron wing. 4-5/16" X 1 1/2" secure it to the wing tightly. Prior to doing that the wing was precisly leveled with the entire top. I drilled and tapped the angle iron form the previous thread to accept 6 1/4X28TPI bolts (was and idea from the previous post from another forum). I added lock nuts so when I got it level I could lock the level in place. All that secures it to the saw is gravity and the lag bolts from the wing to extension. Quite solid. I thought about adding legs. When finished I removed the plate and checked for flatness using a precision 36" strait edge. I then installed a dial caliper on the angle iron and zeroed it. With the router and plate installed I have .005" on the far edge of the wing. I do not think I need legs I think I made it stiff enough.

Another view of it as viewed from the working side. The top is made of 3/4" Baltic Birch with a top and bottom of 1/4" hard board. I edge banded with oak to match mobile bases and laminated top and bottom. Solid and time will tell if stable.

Here you can see the leveling bolts used. Yes the is an older vernable PC 690 router. Just can not part with it. Bought a second plate also. Am going to be purchasing the "big" PC after the jointer and I get a dust collector.

So dang much to do with so little time to do it. On an off side I have accomplished all this while working 12 hours a day 7 days a week. The money is great but the shop time sucks. But I have got my priorities. Wife makes us save a lot of money. I get 1/4 of my OT money as a play allowance for tools, and my "other" three main hobbies (car, fishing with the boat, and hunting). This is my "allowance.

Hopefully the cabinetnts mantioned above will solve some of my "clutter" problem on my other cabinants. I built these from the Wood magizine article in the Shops annual issue from a couple years ago. Wish I still had the magizine teh Lab from above chewed it up one day not too long ago.

Here is a better shot of in progress pictures of my "new shop cabinents. Need to get the bench painted also, but want to start finishing one side of garage first. I am in the middle of sealing and priming here. MDF was what I used for carcases. The middle two are going to have Oak framed doors with windows for "showing stuff. The outer two will be painted doors. My paint will match my recycling shelf and drill press cabinent (Hammerite Drak Blue) on the outside with gloss white interiors for better light.. After these are done a bookshelf will be added in the recessed up area for woodworking magizine/car book storage with a lift out window to keep dust off.

Next on the list a mobile cabinent for the planer with a storage shelf below for my Ridgid OSS/BS.

You can see the template provided by woodpeckers here also. Quality company with good prices.
    Last edited by Jason Sanko; 01-16-2005 at 7:54 AM.

That is a BEAUTIFUL set-up there!!! Nice job!!! As to the jointer I think the Grizz ould be a perfect choice.This one looks nice!!
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mber=G1182ZXHW

You might consider waiting an extra payday and working a few more overtime hours and move up to an 8"er though. When I was buying my jointer people here talked me in to going with an 8 and I'm glad they did. I bought a used 8"er for about the same cost of a new 6". I put a new motor in it and new paint and knives. Plus a new power cord and now i might throw a new switch in it, so everything but the cast iron is brand new.

Jason,
    NIce work - great looking dogs too.
    I think your jointer answer is right in your post. I think I saw your cabinets were from a Wood magazine article. That same magazine, when testing 6" jointers chose the one named after your lab.
    I was in the market for a jointer when the article came out and bought the Grizzly based on their recommendation- it's been great. I think it's about 325.00 and some 65 or so for shipping. Then you have some left over to buy dog treats. -Steve

Very nice set-up Jason, that should help with your "clutter" as they look good from the picture.

I would second the Grizzly as I have 5 green machines and have had no problem with any of them. I also have the Grizzly 1029 DC and it is great.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

i would also recommend the grizzly jointer.....you just can't beat the quality for the price.....very good machine ...i own a 6'' and a 8''......and just the right price too...good luck
    " For Furniture that you will keep in the Family"

Chris

Beautiful set up! Oh and, as always, I'm the odd ball out. I have the Craftsman 6" jointer stand alone model and am pleased with it. But those Grizzleys look pretty nice as well. I just hate the cost of shipping!
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez