Thread: Can a circuit breaker "wear out"?

Can a circuit breaker "wear out"?

OK - I'm stupid and/or lazy on occasion. I have a number of things fed by one 15a circuit - lighting, computer, radio, plus a power stirp for occasional plug-in stuff. No problem for 6 years.

That circuit was the most convenient spot for a space heater by my bench [cold feet]. No problems with the circuit. And then, also for my new work sharp. When I had the the heater and lights on, and then put worksharp on and under heavy load [wide chisels, or regrinding new bevel] , the breaker would pop.

I'd turn off the heater, finish with the worksharp, turn the heater back on.

Then, I'd do it all again - forgetting that the worksharp might pop the breaker.

In 2 weeks, I probably popped it 10 times. Then, I finally got the parts to make an extension cord the correct length, and ran it from a different circuit to the worksharp.

However, the heater now causes the breaker to pop occasionally. Which never happened before the worksharp.

Did I wear out the breaker?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You may have weakened the breaker with the repeated trips. Buy a new one and replace the offending breaker.

Can circuit breakers wear out? Yes they can. Usually when they fail they start tripping too easily, but I am not certain that is always true. Replace the sucker. They are a lot cheaper than a fire.

thnx, guys - that's what I figgered. Am sure I've got a NIB spare breaker in that box of electrical stuff over there on the shelf.

I laso have to split a 220 curcuit into 2, so when I go into the box for that, I'll replace it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent, a 15A breaker can only support the heater, period.

You can't have lighting and your computer on it as well.

Regards, Rod.

I've been using the same 100 amp breaker for a switch for my 50hp converter for about 9 years. I even took it out of my old shop and put it in my new shop.

I really intend to figure out a remote control for that thing, but until then, that breaker is a switch.

I would say they are pretty tough.

That being said, I have had to replace breakers in my house before, but never with SquareD QO's. That Wadsworth I had though..... ARrrr.

Now too much load, is too much load, thats why we have breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Kent, a 15A breaker can only support the heater, period.

You can't have lighting and your computer on it as well.

Regards, Rod.
    So - Rod - just so I understand - you recommend that I read the fine print on the heater tag that says 12.5a, and act based on that? As my Dad used to tell his know-it-all teenage son: "When all else fails, read the instructions". Apparently didn't stick, eh?

I'd pretty much already figured the "separate circuit" part out, based on the emprical evidence - which also indicated that a breaker can wear out, which I didn't know, and I was curious about that part.

Thanks to all for replies

Kent