Thread: New Plane - PLEASE Don't Laugh

New Plane - PLEASE Don't Laugh

I've been lurking and reading about using a plane that doesn't get plugged in. I've NEVER used one before.

Yesterday I came across a Stanley block plane on the clearance table at Lowe's for under $7. It does not appear to be made using the best quality control. I figured I could try to tune it up a little to experiment, and it would hurt to throw it away when I learn a little and go after the better units.

Where is the best reading (hopefully with pictures/graphics) about learning to prepare this thing for use, and then using it?

Try reading this: Block Plane Basics

hth,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

Andy...

I hope you're not disappointed with it. I just taught a class on tuning handplanes, and had someone bring in a new stanley block plane(red lever cap). The plane tuned O.K., but the iron was terrible. It edge actually crumbled when we tried to put an edge on it. It was so bad you could see it easily. Luckily I had an old stanley iron that fit the plane so all was not lost. While that plane was made cheaply it did tune well, and worked very well with a new iron. THe mouth was tight, in comparison to the gaping mouth on the new Buck Brothers plane that was also brought it. I think if you're planning on tuning it and keeping it, I think you'll most certainly want to buy a new iron for it. I think if you try to make do with the one that came with it, you'll only get discouraged. Hope this helps.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Thanks for the link John. It appears to be a good starting point for a novice

I believe it is the same tool you refer to Steve. I see a lot of difference between this one and the one in the article John linked. Guess which one is the better tool! Unlikely I'l replace the iron, as opposed to replacing the whole tool with one of better quality. This one looks like it will do to learn a few lessons, but could/should ultimately end up in a traveling job site bucket.

The sole of the plane appears to have a significant coating of lacquer on it, Should I leave this on, or clean it off and protect the metal with wax? If cleaning is the solution, should I sand it down (like scary sharp) to bare metal, strip it chemically, or what?

Strip the coating off. It is really tough. Probably take a combo of chemicals and sandpaper. BTW I very rarely wax the soles of my planes and have no problems with them.

We lapped the sole...

in class and it came flat with 120 grit in about 3 minutes. Then we progressed up to 220 and it turned out fine. Not more than 10 minutes spent lapping the sole. The low quality steel probably makes this a faster process. I recomment the 120 to get the coating of quicker. It will clog in a few seconds after getting filled with the coating. Hope this helps.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try to post when I have anything to report.