Thread: Target EM6000 Users

Target EM6000 Users

What sheen do you prefer:

Flat

Satin

Semi Gloss

Goss

I haven't used EM6K yet, but I prefer a Satin finish with most products. Most I've seen SMC'ers post about is Satin.

Sheen is a personal choice and somewhat dependent on what is being finished.

Rule of thumb I give to folks...

High Gloss will highlight EVERY flaw; satin will hide most flaws.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post

Boy, you ain't kidding. My buddy (and excellent model airplane builder/finisher) used to tell me, "If you can feel it now, you will surely see it later!".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post

I would also add that sheen choice can depend on where it is. For example, you might want a semi-gloss on your kitchen cabinets to make them easier to clean from normal kitchen use or in your child's bedroom walls to make cleaning them easier.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I use satin 99% of the time. Occasionally, I'll use the gloss for a special project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Satin here too.

For you satin users: Do you build with gloss, then use satin for the last coat, or just satin all the way?

I thought i have seen it recommended to do the former. maybe by David Marks. Could be wrong though.

John, you ask a very good question. There is some soundness in the idea of shooting gloss until the last coat. One of the reasons is that you don't have to worry about sheen variation as much due to uneven mixing of the finish. You potentially may have a little more clarity, but given how thin coats of finish are, I don't imagine that is a huge advantage. The downside is that you need to purchase two products and they do have a shelf life.

Personally...I just buy the satin one gallon at a time for general use and occasionally buy a quart of gloss for special projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...