Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convert performax drum sander into a below the table drum sander?

Question convert performax drum sander into a below the table drum sander?

I recall a tip in a woodworking magazine where someone removed the top cover of their drum sander and added a table with a slot in it. This allowed them to sand items that would not fit between the drum and the moving belt.

Has anyone done this? If so how well does it work?

If one did this and then added Velcro on the drum would this be the same as a V-Drum sander?

Thanks in Advance, Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tutterrow View Post
    I recall a tip in a woodworking magazine where someone removed the top cover of their drum sander and added a table with a slot in it. This allowed them to sand items that would not fit between the drum and the moving belt.
    I don't think this is safe. You are now just relying on your hands to hold the wood. Looks like a good opportunity for kick back, since there's no holddown rollers.

I think sanders like the sandflee are designed to sand small things.. Any piece of wood that is too thick to fit under the drum is likely to be difficult to handle.

Also, dust collection would be a nightmare.

Can you use a belt sander for this purpose?

What are you trying to sand that wont fit between the head and table?
    I would think you could do that, but I do agree that it would be unsafe and a belt sander would be just as effective. Maybe a jointer? It's designed for that.

You mean like a sand flea from stockroom supply? http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/d...179f1d3c33b060
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Has anyone done this? If so how well does it work?

If one did this and then added Velcro on the drum would this be the same as a V-Drum sander?

Thanks in Advance, Jesse
    The long story:

I own the performax 16-32 drum sander. Over the last 5 years I probably have used it a total of 2 hours. I don't like it! It is hard to get the sandpaper tight on the roller and under the clip. The paper keeps loosening and slipping on top of itself. This causes uneven sanding. Dust gets forced onto the sand paper clogging it. The bottom belt that moves the wood through the sander has developed bubbles (places where the belt has deformed).

I loaned it to a fellow woodworker last spring and he was going to buy it in the fall. His wife decided that she needed a new minivan instead. So, I need to go and repossess it. But, I don't like it. I don't trust it.

So, In considering all of this I recalled a tip that I had read in some woodworking magazine about someone who had temporary turned his drum sander into a below the table sander. I think he said that he needed to sand the sides of some drawers (or maybe boxes).

My thought was "could I turn this useless Performax sander into a V-Drum sander. Like the sand flea (or the bigger V-Drum sander that the stockroom sales). This would involve two different things:

1. create a table to sit on top of the drum.
    2. Add Velcro to the drum so that hook and loop sand paper could be used.

The Woodworking show is in town this weekend, and Stockroom Supply will be at the show with their show discounts.

So, I need to determine if I can make a V-Drum sander out of my performax or if I should peddle it and by the V-Drum sander.

Now back to my original questions:

1. Has anyone tried making a table to above the drum?
    2. Has anyone tried adding Velcro to the drum itself?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if this response sounds abrupt, it has been a bad day, of a bad week, of a bad winter.
    St. Louis don't bother plowing the subdivision streets, so the snow packs down and forms ice. Leaving in the morning the van bounces back and forth in the ruts and I feel like the ball in a ping ball machine and sometimes I can't even get back up the hill to my house at night. Just my tax dollars at work.

Exactly. Can I turn the Performax into a V-Drum sander?

You may be trying to take off too much with one pass. The sander is NOT a planer. You have to take very light cuts on it. 1/8 turn or so.

IF you put velcro on the drum, I would imagine that it would add so much variance in thickness and hardness to the paper that you may be better off using a belt sander. I would think it impossible to get an flat, even finish, which is the only thing the sander is good for. I understand your pain in getting the paper tight. It takes a little effort and a small learning curve. I tighten the paper after the first couple passes.

If you don't like it, it is too valuable to canabilize. Better to sell it and build your own V Drum sander

I can't believe I just read that someone doesn't like a 16-32. It is EASILY my favorite tool that I have ever bought

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I can't believe I just read that someone doesn't like a 16-32. It is EASILY my favorite tool that I have ever bought
    Somebody else doesn't like the DeWalt DW735

I tend to agree: I'd sell the 16-32, and then fab up what you're talking about. There's a good market for the 16-32's. Lots of people actually DO like them

The long story:

I own the performax 16-32 drum sander. Over the last 5 years I probably have used it a total of 2 hours. I don't like it! It is hard to get the sandpaper tight on the roller and under the clip. The paper keeps loosening and slipping on top of itself. This causes uneven sanding. Dust gets forced onto the sand paper clogging it. The bottom belt that moves the wood through the sander has developed bubbles (places where the belt has deformed).

I loaned it to a fellow woodworker last spring and he was going to buy it in the fall. His wife decided that she needed a new minivan instead. So, I need to go and repossess it. But, I don't like it. I don't trust it.

So, In considering all of this I recalled a tip that I had read in some woodworking magazine about someone who had temporary turned his drum sander into a below the table sander. I think he said that he needed to sand the sides of some drawers (or maybe boxes).

My thought was "could I turn this useless Performax sander into a V-Drum sander. Like the sand flea (or the bigger V-Drum sander that the stockroom sales). This would involve two different things:

1. create a table to sit on top of the drum.
    2. Add Velcro to the drum so that hook and loop sand paper could be used.

The Woodworking show is in town this weekend, and Stockroom Supply will be at the show with their show discounts.

So, I need to determine if I can make a V-Drum sander out of my performax or if I should peddle it and by the V-Drum sander.

Now back to my original questions:

1. Has anyone tried making a table to above the drum?
    2. Has anyone tried adding Velcro to the drum itself?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if this response sounds abrupt, it has been a bad day, of a bad week, of a bad winter.
    St. Louis don't bother plowing the subdivision streets, so the snow packs down and forms ice. Leaving in the morning the van bounces back and forth in the ruts and I feel like the ball in a ping ball machine and sometimes I can't even get back up the hill to my house at night. Just my tax dollars at work.
    Sounds to me that it could be made to work, but if you were not able to get the performax to work as it came, it may be more than you want to take on to rework the machine into something else. One thing that I try to do with all of my machines is to really learn how they work, how to change the tooling, and how to align them. The sander is like anything else. It takes time, patience, an open mind, and a realization that most of these machines are not plug and play. You need to learn how they work and how to service them to allow them to perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Somebody else doesn't like the DeWalt DW735

I tend to agree: I'd sell the 16-32, and then fab up what you're talking about. There's a good market for the 16-32's. Lots of people actually DO like them
    Ha, my only defense would be to admit that I think the problem with the planer is more my problem then the planer. And not liking it isn't a strong enough word. I hate that planer with a passion. Also I don't hate the execution of the planer... ah who am I kidding its the exact same thing as the posters thoughts on his 16-32. I still can't believe someone doesn't like that sander though.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 02-09-2011 at 10:37 PM.

One word will solve both your problems: WOODMASTER I promise you won't loan anything with that name on it to a friend!

It sounds like the poster was wanting to find a way to make what he thought would be a more useful sander. I think the consensus is, rather then trying to modify the 16-32 sell it and get something else.

I posted about this problem of keeping the paper tight on my Ryobi 16 x 32 drum sander a while back. I have had no problem with this sander except keeping the paper tight. I have tried to pull it tight with a needle nose pliers but ended up breaking the end of the paper off. So I have been taking double stick tape and wrapping it around the drum in a spiral about an inch apart and than wrapping the paper around the drum. This has worked for me in keeping the paper tight and making it last a lot longer. I have not had a problem with uneven sanding. It may not be the right way of doing things but it has worked for me.

Hope this helps, Bob