Thread: Yikes - kickback

Yikes - kickback

Not sure what happened. Was ripping some 1/2" cherry for a box for SWMBO. Maybe the fence flexed a bit, or I slipped a little with the push stick (one of those rubber grippy types that are kinda like a #6 plane). I was even using a featherboard.

Next thing I know the wood bound up and shot backwards in a blur. Shattered on a post of my smith machine about 12 feet away. Must have been spinning because I got a tiny knick on the index finger knuckle of my left hand.

I'm glad I was to the side of the blade or I would probably be undergoing a cherryectomy right now.

I've got the benchtop Dewalt tablesaw. Bought it 5 years ago when I was doing a bunch of carpentry projects around the house. Once I get my shop out of the basement (could be a long time tho), I'll get a floor model.

This does reinforce my thoughts that I should build one of those tables around it to get some more side and outfeed support. Maybe buy one of those Grippers to help reduce this problem.

Also makes me think that I'll try ripping on my MM16 when it arrives.

Son went down for a nap, so I had to stop anyway. Guess I'll spend some time learning TurboCAD.

Make sure you are following safe practices when you use your TS.

Gary -

Glad you are OK! Could have been much worse, as you know. It is possible that the board could have had some internal stress and bound itself up on the blade as it was being ripped.

Thanks for the reminder.

Ted

Gary,

I too am happy to hear that you were not hurt. I have two scars on the back of my left hand just above the wrist were I was cuaght with a MDF missle a couple of years ago. I'm kind of glad I have the scars because they remind me to be careful every time I look at my watch.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Gary,
    Gald you weren't hurt. Were you using a splitter?

No, John I wasn't

I was using my zero clearance insert. I've meant to get one of those little splitters you can screw into a zc insert (blanking on the name at the moment) but I haven't gotten one yet. This may be all the motivation I need. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    I was using my zero clearance insert. I've meant to get one of those little splitters you can screw into a zc insert (blanking on the name at the moment) but I haven't gotten one yet. This may be all the motivation I need. Thanks for reminding me.
    Gary, I'm glad you weren't hurt and the splitter question was what came to mind for me also. I wouldn't use my saw without mine in. I don't know if this is all there is to kickback but I'm nervous without it in there. Take care and count your blessings that things weren't worse. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Gary, ditto on the "...happy it wasn't worse!" Glad you weren't hurt. You mention buying one of those splitter thingies. Good idea, but until then, you may want to try what I did on my old Delta CS. Simply a piece of hardboard, 1/8" thick, (You'd obviously need a thinner one if using a TK blade.) which I epoxied in place in line with the sawcut line. I also sanded the leading edge of it into a knife profile. Worked great and cost was virtually nothing. Here are a couple pics. On my current TS, I invested in the Bies splitter. Wouldn't be without one!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Where was the featherboard was positioned? To far behind the blad e will do crazy things.
    Jerry