Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Customized Green Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Baxter,

Am I to understand you make the inside diameter larger than the outside diameter with a Monster rig, or do you do that by hand?
    Roger, it gets really easy to do with the Monster if you don't tighten down that screw on that circular head!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Baxter,

Am I to understand you make the inside diameter larger than the outside diameter with a Monster rig, or do you do that by hand?
    I manage to do it quite well by hand at a very reasonable cost.

3. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, it gets really easy to do with the Monster if you don't tighten down that screw on that circular head!!!!
    I hear you loud and clear John..............thanks for the heads up !!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    I manage to do it quite well by hand at a very reasonable cost.
    Baxter, I thought I was the only one who made funnels that way...........

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Congrats Roger. You are going to love it. Ditto what John said about the base at a 45* angle. Gives you a lot more wiggle room so to speak.
    Thanks Bernie............chime in on the other thread on how you use your tips.........I can use all the information you guys are willing to give me!!!

Congratulations Roger;

This has been a very interesting thread with lots of fantastic comments and advice.
    I am picking up my custom Grey Monster next week, I can hardly wait. We are going to Massachucets (sp???) to ski and Randy is sending my unit to the hotel... Wow, what a great service. My Nova DVR XP is ready to go. Saves me extra shipping, customs fees etc.
    Looking forward to seeing your first HF.
    good luck with the new system.
    Peter F.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fabricius View Post
    Congratulations Roger;

This has been a very interesting thread with lots of fantastic comments and advice.
    I am picking up my custom Grey Monster next week, I can hardly wait. We are going to Massachucets (sp???) to ski and Randy is sending my unit to the hotel... Wow, what a great service. My Nova DVR XP is ready to go. Saves me extra shipping, customs fees etc.
    Looking forward to seeing your first HF. good luck with the new system.
    Peter F.
    Geez Peter,

A ski vacation and a monster rig all in the same week?!! Some guys just have too much fun! Enjoy them both..........I will be watching the forum for postings of your work with the "grey monster!"

In order to take advantage of the provided carbide cutter I had to grind a flat on the cutter shaft to get the cutter in the proper orientation. Works like a charm now. I will use the carbide cutter for preliminary cleanup and follow-up with light scraping for smoothing.

Prior to getting the Monster I used the Proforme tools. These tool shafts fit the Monster head and I use the Proforme scraper for final cleanup. I can set the scraper angled for shear scraping and it does a great job of cleaning, especially tear out. I also use the Proforme cutters in the Monster when I want to hog out a bowl or HF.

Congrats Roger. Looking forward to your new forms with it. Also remember to practice, practice, and practice. Then, you can teach me how to use it before I get mine.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Who needs a high-dollar demonstrator to be flown in and demo for a few days when we have the folks at SMC to take pics and explain their methods? This has been a great big help to me in using my art. arm rig from Randy.Thanks to everybody. One day I will learn how to post pics. Max

11. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Congrats Roger. Looking forward to your new forms with it. Also remember to practice, practice, and practice. Then, you can teach me how to use it before I get mine.
    It would be my pleasure, Tony!

Okay, now a question as to the outside of the form...........it seems I remember someone saying something about the outside of the form, using the Monster rig............I had always figured that the outside would be done with regular tools [bowl gouge, shear scraper, etc]

Do any of you guys that have the monster rig use it for the outside? I would think a swept back grind on a bowl gouge would be better, but I am open to ideas....