Thread: Long time no see! New reloading benches

Long time no see! New reloading benches

Howdy all! It has been quite awhile since I was last around these forums. I have been into shooting rifles for the past several years and got away from the woodworking. I needed a break from wood for awhile.

Over the holidays I got the itch to get out in the shop, as I needed to build a couple benches for the new reloading room. Well, the room is not quite finished, as I still need to get the base molding installed along with door casing.
    It had been over 4 years since I really had attempted to build anything and was worried that my power tools would not work anymore Worried that it would not still work, but thankfully it was all fine

I had a fair amount of salvaged 6"x6" Redwood beams that I cut down to 4"x4" for the legs on both benches. I had some 5/4 Ash that had a lot of darker wood in it, that I would have not have used to build furniture, so I used that for the aprons and stretchers. All joints are mortise and tenon and then pegged with birch dowels.

The longest bench is still waiting for me to get some curly Maple cut and routed for the edge. Once I get the Maple edge installed I will laminate the top and then run a 45 degree chamfer bit along the edge to trim the laminate and dress the Maple edge at the same time.

Well anyway here they are and hope to be able to do some more stuff again shortly. Forgot how much I love getting out in the shop. Good to see some familiar old faces around here too!

Mike Mastin

Last edited by Mike Mastin; 02-09-2011 at 8:32 PM.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Looks like some nice solid benches, exactly what is required for accurate reloading. Post the finished photos when you can.

I hope to get the room finished before the end of this month, if the weather cooperates. I had to finish my wife's Art Studio first though I got her bench trimmed out and she is happy, so now I can continue on with my room and the benches. The floors will be reclaimed hardwoods as soon as I can locate some locally. In the mean time she said just paint them so I did.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Looking good Mike. Progress is always good but in this weather it's petty slow.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Nice looking reloading bench Mike.

I reload for a 338-06 and 7mm-06.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Steve. Ken I don't shoot many larger calibers. 25-06, 6BR, 223, and 20BR are my main cartirdges that I reload. Here is the stock that I had built after I fab'd the stock blank using qtr Bubinga and figuired Anigre.

Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods