Thread: My First Post, My First Two Projects

My First Post, My First Two Projects

Hello, all. I just joined SMC today, and I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from all of you. There is quite a collection of masters here, I see. I'm quite new to the art - I'm a concrete guy by trade, but I love working with wood, and I'm excited to increase in skills as time goes on. I only have the basic tools so far - a small tablesaw, a router, planer and scrollsaw, but it's enough to do some solid work for now (just have to scratch my head a little more to solve problems!)

Anyway, here are the fruits of my first woodchips! Looking forward to chatting with you guys!

This is a pine ladder shelf - my wife thinks I'm Superman now.

I made four boxes out of rough sawn poplar - I tried to implement a lot of different joinery for practice - each box has tongue and groove, double lap, and open mortise and tenon joints.

And they fit here! No more clutter.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark, great first post and welcome to SMC! I really like the boxes and the color you were able to achieve.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I wished that my projects were this nicely executed Great work. Proportions look great and excellent detailing on the boxes.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Blog Entries
    Welcome Mark
    Great looking projects. I also like the detailing on the boxes. You have to watch out though...your wife might expect more projects. When she shows you what she wants next, wait a couple of seconds, then "set the hook" with "Great...but I need more tools".

By the way...with a Dutch name like that.. are you in "West Michigan"?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Yes, I'm in Grand Rapids.
    I love your tool strategy. The boxes were the reason for my new planer!!!

Mark, - first of all, a special welcome for another dutchman from Michigan! Second, nice projects all around, let alone for your first ones. Keep it up, you certainly have the skill set for this. I look forward to seeing what else comes out of your shop.

Welcome to the Creek Mark. Nice way to make a splash with these two projects.

Blog Entries
    Hey Mark, Great work. Pretty impressive for any project let alone your first two. Nice selection of wood and finishing. I like the saw cut detail on the face of the boxes. Very simply and it makes a nice statement. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more projects from you!

Ben
    My blog: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?70802-Ben-Arnott

Blog Entries
    Its confirmed; you are now superman ;-) Well done and Welcome!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging responses. I'm looking forward to posting more work.

It appears as though another fine craftsman has found his way to the Creek. Great looking boxes. I really like the way you detailed/joined the boxes in the front. All around good looking work. I think I just turned a little green.

Mark

Welcome to SMC. Great work, creative design.

Used to spend a lot of time In GR. Neat town.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice work! I really like the boxes. Very cool!

Thumbs up

Excellent work on both projects Mark ,
    and welcome to the forum.