Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for mini family vacation ideas in the NY/PA/OH/MI/IN/Ont area

+1 for The Henry Ford - it is great place - the museum has some great items to see - the actual chair Lincoln was shot in at Ford Theater, the car Kennedy was shot in, and the bus that Rosa Parks was on, just to name a few. If you go before the village closes, you can see Thomas Edison's complete Menlo Park labs and the Wright Brothers bike shop. Frankmuth MI has great chicken dinners and a hotel that is very kid friendly with indoor pools, etc. Not as extensive as Great Wolf, but I think it is a bit less $$$. Now, what is there to do in London during the week - I am presently there this week on business : ) Nice area from what I have seen of it.

Doug, you know there's a Lee Valley there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    Now, what is there to do in London during the week - I am presently there this week on business : ) Nice area from what I have seen of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    In terms of WW'ing, as Matt said there is the Lee Valley store in the NW end near the airport. Not too far from Lee Valley is Federated Tools.
    Down by the 401 is Busy Bee tools (Kind of like a smaller Harbor Freight). And finally there is another harbor freight twin called Princess Auto, also on the south side. The lumber place I tend to frequent is Philmore enterprises, way out on the NW end of town - no website.

If you're into the outdoors, you might visit Novacks, which is downtown. (Mountain Equipment Co-Op is opening a store in November, which I'm really looking forward to...)

If you're into hockey, you could check out a London Knights game this Friday at the John Labatte Centre, which is on the west edge of downtown. (Doesn't look like much else is going on this week there. Last week you could have seen Cirque Du Soleil.)

If you just want to walk, start at Richmond and Oxford St intersection, and walk south until you hit Dundas St, and then turn east. That'll catch a fair bunch of interesting eateries, pub's and local colour.

If you just want to catch a movie, I suggest you check out the Cineplex VIP cinema at Westmount mall. The VIP cinema is a unique theatre -- no kids are allowed (no noisy kids), all seats are reserved seats (so yo don't have to stand in line), and you can order pub food (including beer/drinks) right at your seat. Yeah, you pay a premium, but it is quite an experience. Oh yeah, and the seats are large and plush. Watch out, the cinema also has non-VIP at the same location, so you need to be sure you're selecting the right theatre.

Then there is the Grand Theatre, if you want to catch a play.

There's probably more...
    "It's Not About You."

Blog Entries
    Hocking Hills state park in southern Ohio & the National Air Force Museum (largest air museum in the world) are both cheap and very interesting for boys of that age.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

ps: Matt, maybe next time I'll manage a Creeker visit as we cruise by on I75,
    Plan an extra hour of travel between Cleveland and Toledo and take Rt. 6 & 2 instead of the turnpike.
    It's a much prettier ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Hocking Hills state park in southern Ohio & the National Air Force Museum (largest air museum in the world) are both cheap and very interesting for boys of that age.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/
    Wow, free admission and looks like an awesome museum. This just got added to my list of trips to do with my sons someday! (for some reason my wife wasn't that interested in checking out all the hardware...)
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    In terms of WW'ing, as Matt said there is the Lee Valley store in the NW end near the airport. Not too far from Lee Valley is Federated Tools.
    Down by the 401 is Busy Bee tools (Kind of like a smaller Harbor Freight). And finally there is another harbor freight twin called Princess Auto, also on the south side. The lumber place I tend to frequent is Philmore enterprises, way out on the NW end of town - no website.

If you're into the outdoors, you might visit Novacks, which is downtown. (Mountain Equipment Co-Op is opening a store in November, which I'm really looking forward to...)

If you're into hockey, you could check out a London Knights game this Friday at the John Labatte Centre, which is on the west edge of downtown. (Doesn't look like much else is going on this week there. Last week you could have seen Cirque Du Soleil.)

If you just want to walk, start at Richmond and Oxford St intersection, and walk south until you hit Dundas St, and then turn east. That'll catch a fair bunch of interesting eateries, pub's and local colour.

If you just want to catch a movie, I suggest you check out the Cineplex VIP cinema at Westmount mall. The VIP cinema is a unique theatre -- no kids are allowed (no noisy kids), all seats are reserved seats (so yo don't have to stand in line), and you can order pub food (including beer/drinks) right at your seat. Yeah, you pay a premium, but it is quite an experience. Oh yeah, and the seats are large and plush. Watch out, the cinema also has non-VIP at the same location, so you need to be sure you're selecting the right theatre.

Then there is the Grand Theatre, if you want to catch a play.

There's probably more...
    WOW - thanks for all of the ideas !!! I am getting tired of sitting in the hotel at night : )

Matt - I had no idea that Lee Valley is here - that is one stop that I have to make !
    Art - Thanks for the lowdown on the area - I am going to be back next week (going home for the weekend) and will be checking out some of the places that you highlighted !!!

Henry Ford, I loved that place. So much history in one place it's mind blowing.

1+, Dayton Ohio is the National Museum of the United States Air force. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/ Right off I-75.
    John F. Kennedy's air force one as well as other Presidents planes are there. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/exh...tial/index.asp
    Best part it's FREE.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Michael O'Sullivan View Post
    If any of your kids are baseball fans, Cooperstown (MLB HoF) is great. I have only been there in summer, so I don't know how it is in winter. If you spend a day there, you could go on to the VT/NH ski areas which are within pretty easy driving distance. The drive home would be pretty long, though.
    Also if you or your kids are baseball fans, try the Slugger Museum in Louisville, KY. It has incredible history and the tour is pretty cool, especially for a woodworker. We went the last time in the summer and took in a Bats game (triple A for the Reds) at the same time. Obviously that part won't work for a winter trip, but if you were to go later in the year...

Well, to plug "local", the Philadelphia area offers a ton of interesting and educational things...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    A little more info on the Air museum: Plan on spending a very full day to quickly browse through the exhibits. If you are the kind of person who reads the sign for each item then it will take 2 days to get through everything. With kids you'll have to plan accordingly (i.e. just visit the rockets and jets, etc.).

Well I can confirm that you are correct - I am back this week in London and went there tonight - what a great store ! I had looked on their web site before but their planes, etc are very impressive when you see the real thing !!! I had to get out of there before I started to spend $$$ and had to worry about explaining what I bought when I cross back over the border tomorrow : ) But with that said, I will be heading back there again next week - so many tools to look at, so little time .....