Thread: Doh!

Unhappy Doh!

I screwed up. I caulked the outside trim of my house with silicone caulk and began to paint and discovered the caulk I used is not paintable. This is a fine mess. Will paintable caulk stick to non-paintable caulk? I thought about re-caulking on top of the non-paintable caulk and then painting. Will this work or do I have to scrape off all the silicone caulk?

You're not going to like this answer, but I'll bet you already suspect it coming. You'll want to scrape off the caulk to get the best seal from the new paintable caulk. I'm not saying you can't re-caulk, but I wouldn't.

I agree with Kelly. The new paintable caulk could have troubles staying attached to the silicon caulk. You could end up having to repaint next year after you remove the paintable caulk and the silicon caulk. The surest thing would be to remove the silicon and redo the whole thing!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Cliff, you need to visit your friendly Orange Box store and pick up the "PL" brand Urethane caulk. Good stuff, it will stick to anything, and in after a week of curing, you will need a hammer and chisel to take it off I don't mean it gets hard, but it is STUCK tight to the surface. I have used it extensively on the dust collection system. It is easy to apply, and cleans up nicely with paint thinner.
    Best Regards, Ken

Thanks Ken. I'll give it a shot. How long do they guarantee it will work before it gets brittle and needs replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Cliff, you need to visit your friendly Orange Box store and pick up the "PL" brand Urethane caulk. Good stuff, it will stick to anything, and in after a week of curing, you will need a hammer and chisel to take it off I don't mean it gets hard, but it is STUCK tight to the surface. I have used it extensively on the dust collection system. It is easy to apply, and cleans up nicely with paint thinner.