Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade air cleaners

Yes they all run continuous. That is a view of the inside of the box without the filters installed. The filters are sucked up against the inside ledge and are held in by the vacuum so there might be some minor blow by. the blank area is just the MDF so the only holes are where the fans are.

Don

This is a picture of what I came up with for my shop. I originally designed this when I needed to paint a van. It was very successful. The filters were the color of the van, and the floor was clean.

One thing I see wrong with every filter unit I see on the market is that they do not have enough filter area. I studied filtration when I was racing off road, and one of the things that you want to do with filtration in adverse conditions is to slow the speed of the air going through the filter. CFM alone is not the answer, CFM coupled with filter area is what to look at. It si much easier to catch a particle when it is hitting the filter at a lower rate of speed, so given a set CFM, the only solution is to increase filter capasity.

I found that this unit, which has eight 20x25"filters works better on the middle speed, and as a bonus is quieter. I wired it so that it came on with the lights, so whenever I was in the shop it was filtering the air. I will be building one bigger and better for my new shop. This one cost me about $20 to build. I got a salvage squirrel cage fan, used some scrap from around the shop, and a couple of hours of my time.

Do ya have enough step ladders in the shop there Larry?

That's right up there with hammers and screwdrivers. You can never have too many.

Larry, where is the exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Larry, where is the exhaust?
    Out the top. It pulls in all the way around and blows it through the squirrel cage out the top. I intended on spliting that and running it to both sides, but I sold that shop.

That is not many ladders at all. For the first time in many years they are all in one place[no work] and they take up way too much space in my new shop. I counted somewhere over 20. No problem changing a bulb around my house.....

so do you run the exhaust through a filter as well?

If you have an air space between the board where the fans mount and the filters you would get air flow over the entire surface of the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I was just wondering, because I found some ~1000CFM 8" diameter axial fans for $10 each, but I haven't been able to find an inexpensive source for a 120V (found lots of 220V, 208V and 440V 3PH) squirrel cage fans.
    Anthony

I burned out three squirrel fans on the rig above in 13 years, never paid anything for any of them. That thing was supposed to be temporary, but worked so well I never made another one.

Go to a scrapyard, or a heating and air conditioning business. The heat exchangers burn out all the time on furnaces and the whole thing gets thrown out, fans are still good. If just the fan is bad they replace it. They are 110 three or four speed fans with the motor mounted in the middle, unless they are ancient, then they may have a belt. Be aware that most of these motors have oilers that need to be attended at least once a year, just like your furnace. You can get a handy oiler for them at any heating contractor.As far as wiring the speeds there are four or five wires, several are different speed wires. If in doubt, call an electrician.

At the most they should charge you ten bucks for a fan, they are going to haul the whole thing to the scrap yard anyway.

No I did not put a filter on the outlet.....