Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A Thien Baffle tested on a shopvac

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    (When it underlines a word in red, it means it is misspelled.)

All I gotta admit is that is impressive you have gotten so many people to use a product that doesn't work. But I guess even Jimmy Carter saw a flying saucer and they don't work either.
    Did you actually spend money to apply for a patent on a product you haven't tested? That is pretty impressive also. I am pretty sure that you can't get an enforceable patent on something you already published, so I hope you haven't spent too much on it. OOPS!
    Speaking as a patent attorney, this is completely wrong. In the US the has a year from date of publication.

Never let facts get in the way though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Oh GREAT! Now I want apple pie.

You see... When I think of hot dogs, I think of hot dogs from the Elegant Farmer in Mukwonago WI. They have had (spotty availability) the best garlic dogs. Real natural casings, of course. The kind where you have to snap into them. The good stuff. Did I mention garlic? Yes, these things have enough garlic to cure a list of ailments.

But the Elegant Farmer is known, of course, for their "baked-in-the-[paper]-bag" apple pies. Bobby Flay even visited and had an apple pie throwdown. They KILLED Bobby. If you have never had a EF apple pie (or even if you HAVE had one), you should seek one out and consume a piece.

Which I intend to do now.
    Hey Phil Cut It Out.......... You are TORTURING us guys that are Diabetic but LOVE Apple Pies. Sheesh, now I gotta go take another Insulin shot, from just THINKING about those Pies.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 04-17-2011 at 5:11 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    Hey Phil Cut It Out.......... You are TORTURING us guys that are Diabetic but LOVE Apple Pies. Sheesh, now I gotta go take another Insulin shot, from just THINKING about those Pies.
    Take one EF garlic hot dog and call me in the morning.

Seriously, savory is better than sweet, anyhow. You aren't missing a thing. I never had that piece of pie I mentioned.

In fact (this is a true story), the EF was apparently sold a year or two ago.

It is Sunday morning as I write this. I have two teenage daughters (well, one of them is 20 now but still). They consume vast quantities of fruit. So this morning I went to my local purveyor of fruits, where I was selecting a honeydew and a cantaloupe. I noticed they had a stack of EF pies, so I took a look at them, and they didn't look good.

The crust, which was one of the strong points previously, looked almost undercooked. Not brown enough. In the past they had always gotten the mix of butter, sugar, and cooking time just right so the top crust was almost like an armor. Not these pies. The top crusts looked thin, and soft.

So you aren't missing a THING, I tell you.

In any event, I'm trying to reduce refined sugar in my diet. I don't really desire it any more, anyhow. If I'm hungry for a snack I'd much rather have half a cheese sandwich (with the tangy zip of Miracle Whip, and not that light crap).
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 04-17-2011 at 5:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Clark View Post
    OK... so this is old now but I just read through the whole thing and was quite amused. First of all, member or not, Mr. Lippmann is clearly a troll, so why he kept getting fed is beyond me; although, it is heartening to me to see so many people defend Mr. Thien! For crying out loud, he eschews greed and gives away his idea and he's still hunted by that one unsatisfied "customer". What is this world coming too? I haven't built the baffle yet, but I'd been considering it which is why I even opened this thread to begin with. I'm definitely more likely to now. After all I love any project that can bring crazies out of the woodwork.
    I just read it too. Make that one more happy customer. I made the Thien baffle for my Delta dust collector. It works very well. It's amazing to see how a simple baffle can make such a big difference. >90% dust was going to the bin.

I have a Thien baffle on a DC and it works. I don't have a scientififc test but if improves my shop maintenance. It definitely is a worthwhile addition.
    I don't see why the forum police don't pull the plug on such a negative posting which is so one sided!

It died in April.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I built the Thien Baffle out of 3/4" plywood using the 32 gallon brute trashcan. It works very well, above 95% efficient. In four months there is only 1" of dust in the bottom of my delta vacuum clear plastic bag and I have not had to take the hose off of the Delta vacuum even once for debris clogging just before the impeller, because the Thien baffle is so good. I have owned the dust deputy with the 5 gallon bucket and it was good, but Thien's baffle is better. I am getting ready to build the 5 gallon baffle and hope I get as good of results as with my 32 gallon baffle. Thanks again Phil for the wonderful design. I also built your mortising jig out of starboard for the Dewalt DWP611 router which is also awesome. I do not know Phil and have never even emailed him, but wanted to defend this unjustified attack. Thanks again for your great design and documentation.