Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall finishing, Sheetrock or wood paneling

Wall finishing, Sheetrock or wood paneling

I am in the process of getting some bids to get my new workspace drywalled, and have been scouring the forums to see as many layouts as I can before setting things in motion. I've seen a few workshops that have been finished with wood paneling (knotty pine tongue in grove, etc) and really like the look. Here is one example.

http://woodtalkonline.com/topic/2403...shop-to-share/

I would anticipate that it is also more durable than sheetrock, which I expect to get dinged up over time. Are there any big negatives with using wood paneling for finishing the walls in the workshop? Fire hazard? Not as light as sheetrock painted white? Large cost difference?

Thanks.

Brad

I went with 1/2" AC interior plywood, and I ripped some poplar to create a batten board look -putting a strip at each stud, which also served to cover the seams.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

As you can see, I did not choose white walls, but I did choose a white ceiling. To me, a warm feeling space with a pleasing color was more important than that last few bits of reflective light I would get with white walls. I put in so much light that I had some photons to burn anyway. Remember, this place needs to be a place you enjoy being in, so make look like you want it to look. Having said that, it has sure been nice to be able to screw a bracket or whatever anywhere I need it. Of course I still use the studs for heavy mountings.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, my shop is also my finish room. I used a combination of OSB and drywall, primed and painted white. I went with pure white so as to minimize the influence on the colors I may be mixing. I keep different types of lights around (incandescent and various fluorescents) to simulate the areas where a piece is to go. It can be quite shocking to deliver your warm brown finished piece to someone's living room and see it turn orange-ish DAMHIKT.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well of course wood paneling will be more money, and probably not as white (if you intend to paint it white. There are some fire issues if your shop is attached to a living space. After that it's choice. My shop is a detached converted three car garage. I used OSB on the walls (painted flat white...my peepers need all the help they can get) because it is cheaper then any alternative and durable. Need to run wiring...unscrew the panel, run your wire, screw it back up. It's a shop. I'm fine with the look. Here's a progress photo. Who is that fatass sitting around...get to work!

shop.jpg
    Last edited by George Bregar; 02-12-2011 at 5:15 PM.

When I was in the process of building my shop I came across a very good price on 5/8" marine grade mahogany plywood[ 11 ply ] I used this to sheath both the walls and ceiling of my shop, left natural I like the ambiance. (after all it is a woodshop)
    The sheets are just screwed on so it's easy to remove should I wish to add additional wiring etc.

DSCN3217.jpgDSCN3231.jpgDSCN3218.jpgDSCN3216.jpgDSCN3222.jpgDSCN3230.JPGDSCN3214.jpgDSCN3215.jpg
    Last edited by John Spitters; 02-12-2011 at 1:06 AM. Reason: adding text

I covered my walls with 1/2" plywood and sadly decided to use 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling to reduce the cost. I wish I had spent the extra money and used plywood there too. I had dings in it shortly after putting it up and I have 10' ceilings.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Check your building code. The building inspector told me that any attached garage/shop must have sheet rock walls. As my shop is detached I am okay using some low cost plywood paneling.

Blog Entries
    1/2" OSB painted pure white semi gloss. Cheap, tough and you can put in a screw where ever you want.

I plan on rocking my ceiling because my little shop will be in the basement. May go 2 layers of 1/2. 1" foam and prob 5/8 ply for the walls. Most likely I will paint the walls with some type of fire treated paint, or maybe get fire treated ply. Have not got that far yet.

I used white pegboard on 3 of my 4 walls. I can't buy any more tools, because the pegboard is full with no place to hang anything.
    Larry, AKA Uncle Fester

Brad if I recall, this space is adjacent to finished living space in your basement. I'm fairly certain that it would be a code violation to sheath the walls in OSB or plywood. If it were me, I'd put sheetrock on the walls, an consider acoustic tiles for the ceiling. You could always hang french cleats over the sheet rock and use this for large sheets of peg board, etc.

Check out the wood whisper's shop tours.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/french-c...torage-system/

Typically in residential dwellings, sheet rock is used, and then decroative wood siding is applied over the sheet rock. We just finished an addition on our church, and used 3/4" clear pine on the ceiling. We had to apply several coats of a fire retardant finish on the pine. In this case we did not have to have sheetrock behind the siding. For resale value of your home, I think sheet rock would be the better option. You will ding the walls, but fortunately the repair is fairly simple.

I prefer rocking the entire shop, just my preference. I also like adding a total shop french cleat system and building all the storage in a modular fashion. That is my plan for my new shop.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll stick with sheetrock on the walls due to the code issues. Considering a drop/acoustic tile ceiling to allow for access to the pipes/electrical/HVAC, etc when necessary.

Brad

I am just finishing up a wall in my shop in the basement. I went with 1" foam insulation, 2X4 wall with fiberglass and drywall over the top for fire safety. I agree with the desire to have a wood wall for looks and hanging stuff but the fire requirement is important.

I will probably put up a heavy baseboard and a wood rail along it to help prevent damage from equipment as I roll them around the shop.

I must be the slowest person on earth to put up drywall. It looks good but not fast going up..