Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Phase Band Saw

3 Phase Band Saw

Good Morning All,
    I recently won an auction at work for this band saw http://www.wellsaw.com/wp-content/up.../03/V20-24.pdf It states that it is 480v/3 phase. I know I will need a phase converter, but this all uncharted territory for me and I am not sure what I should be looking at. Any info on prior experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-24-2011 at 7:48 PM. Reason: fixed! :o)
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

Scott,congrads on your winnings.Looks like a fantastic saw and since it was won makes it even better.If you are going to purchase other 3phase machines then I think that a rotary phase converter is the way to go,but if this is going to be your one and only 3phase then I would go w/VSD.Which will run you about 100 per hp,but its the simpless,less chance of problems,soft start,and variable speed.So for about 300 dollar investment you have one fan tas tic saw----Carroll

First you need to see if it is dual voltage motor -- able to run on 230 (approx) volts or 440 (approx). If yes, then you are in luck. If it is a 440 volt only motor, then you probably want a new motor. I'm assuming that you are planning on running it from 220 volt single phase.

Assuming a dual voltage motor, you have the option of vfd (factorymation.com, driveswharehouse, etc) or a rotary phase converter. Neither is very complex, and what to do next depends on your plans. Is a 12 hp shaper in the future? Then a big rotary phase converter would be in order. If this is it, then a teco drive from factorymation.

The next step is to get the nameplate information from the motor, and to confirm the current operating voltage as 440.

You are just going to have to look at the motor plate and report. The spec page shows 2 different motors, neither match what you mentioned (480v motors are VERY common in industry). If it is a 480V single voltage motor you will be looking at a new motor more than likely. It MAY have a AC vector drive already on it but if it does most likely it will rewuire some form of power you don't have. If you have to replace the motor single phase may be your cheapest choice, or you may want to go with a 3 phase 230 motor and a VFD for braking and/or soft start, the saw already is variable speed but for wood you probably want to run it full plast but some people like a lower band speed for tall resawing. That should be a monster when sorted, although being a metal saw it is probably not set up for wide blades, maybe 3/4" max.

Its likely that the motor can be wired to run 230V PH3.. Then as another fella said, you can choose your converter..

VFD will run one machine.. a Rotary or larger converter can run more than one..

3 Phase is nice.. smooth power..

Thank you all for the help. I am picking it up next week, so I will get the info on the motor and report back

thanks again!!
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

Scott, that's a great looking saw - congrats on your win!

In addition to the ideas that have already been shared, one thing to consider - since the saw specs list that it is available in a single phase model, is to coordinate with whomever sponsored the contest to see if wellsaw would swap you a single phase model for the 3-phase one (presuming that the saw is brand new).

Thanks Scott,
    The saw is used, but only to cut plastic tanks (never metal). Wells is a Michigan based company about 3 hours from my house. I sent them an email asking if they had any refurbished single phase motors I could buy from them or swap out.
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

I got a call back from the company that makes this saw and he told me that I can convert it to single phase. The cost for the motor is $415.00, the cost for the pulley is $365.00, and $30.00 for some type of heater/isolator (not sure what it is or does). I asked what the saw costs and he told me $8,200.00. I think I am going to do it right and pick up the stuff to convert it to single phase. Maybe I can sell the 3 phase parts and recoup a few dollars.
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gibbons View Post
    I got a call back from the company that makes this saw and he told me that I can convert it to single phase. The cost for the motor is $415.00, the cost for the pulley is $365.00, and $30.00 for some type of heater/isolator (not sure what it is or does). I asked what the saw costs and he told me $8,200.00. I think I am going to do it right and pick up the stuff to convert it to single phase. Maybe I can sell the 3 phase parts and recoup a few dollars.
    Scott, the heater is for the magnetic start switch. All things considered, I think that you're doing the right thing with keeping it original. That's a very nice saw...

As your original title says, that is one Bad Saw! (Bad, meaning, really Good, of course).
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Geez Scott! $810 to convert?? You can keep the saw all original (and 3-phase) by simply adding a 3hp VFD. $255 at Driveswarehouse.

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...0049ed0b73ff49

I don't usually go for those, since I am strictly an RPC man, but, in this case...a VFD makes Mucho Sense! Infinite variable speed too!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Hi Scott, did you ever find out what voltage the original motor was?

Regards, Rod.

I would get all the info off the motor plate before I did anything. If you can just power it with a VFD that would be the cheapest and best way to go. Don't look at using a VFD as not doing it "right", in this case it would be easy to argue it would be more right and cost you WELL under $800, more like $200. As my buddy likes to say "Don't fear the phase".

Bottom line you need more info on the motor and electrics before you should make a final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I would get all the info off the motor plate before I did anything. If you can just power it with a VFD that would be the cheapest and best way to go. Don't look at using a VFD as not doing it "right", in this case it would be easy to argue it would be more right and cost you WELL under $800, more like $200. As my buddy likes to say "Don't fear the phase".

Bottom line you need more info on the motor and electrics before you should make a final decision.
    Thank you Van,
    I am not going to do anything yet, I am still waiting to go pick it up. I will definitely post all the motor info when I take ownership. this is something out of my league so I will definitely come back here with the info before I make any type of decision. Not understaning the Phase, I made the assumption that anything short of replacing the parts would be cheating. We all know what they say about assumptions.
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons