Thread: Rocket Launcher Tool Rack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rocket Launcher Tool Rack

Fellow Creeker Scott Hubl asked for some details about this rack:

Tool Rack 1 (1000 x 750).jpg

The box is built from 1/2" birch ply. I assembled the base, the two ends, and the two back slats first. Rough dimensions: base piece 12x25, sides 12x12.

P1040170.jpgRocket Rack2.jpg

The tube rows are 12", 10", 8", and two rows of 6". I glued each row together with PVC cement.

Then I installed the 12" row and positioned the slats to get a tight friction fit. McFeely's screws locked the slats in place.

P1040175.jpg

I repeated this for each row. I wanted to be able to remove the tubes to periodically blow out any shavings.

The finished unit has 65 tubes and holds a pile of tools. I keep skew chisels edge down for obvious reasons.

P1040179.jpgRocket Rack.jpg

Ken, if I did that, I would be compelled to buy more tools to fill it up!! That sure is a neat design, and it will serve double duty on July 4!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Thanks Ken, I got your email and will get started on it today.

John, I already have enough to FILL it and then some, that was the problem I Need Lots of rack storage and the 12 piece wall racks werent going to cut it. I would have had to start out building 6 of those and still I have No wall space for that type.

I am using a 5 drawer roll a round like Ken is using already to hold my chucks(9), spare jaws and everything else turning related. So Kens Design here should work well for me.

I plan on raising it so It is higher and has a shelf under it to store some glues and sandpaper disks.

I can move my tools were I need them within easy reach no matter were I am working at on the lathe.

I'll call mine "Rocket Launcher II" LOL

Thanks Ken.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Looks like a pretty cool as well as functional design! Just curious if you have a problem with chips/curlies getting into the tubes?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Steve,
    Kens design leaves the back Open and he pvc glued each row of tubes together, and the stretchers inbetween them are placed for a friction fit against the tubes.

He just pulls the tubes up and blows any chips out the back side with compressed air as needed.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

John,

I firmly believe in the statement that "I have more tools than I need and less than I want." With this rack at least I have a place to keep them.

Steve,

Scott is correct. The "box" is mostly two sides and a bottom, with slats defining the spaces for the tubes. A quick blast of air takes care of most of the curlies that land on the rack. Shavings do get down the tubes (and everywhere else, of course), but not as bad as I thought they would. The first time I cleaned up the rack in a couple of month's worth of turning was when I took the rack apart this morning to take the pictures. Very little in the way of shavings down the tubes.

Blog Entries
    Building Building Building!

Post with pics of my Modified version called the "Rocket Launcher II" coming Soon.

Thanks again for sharing the details with me, and now everyone, Ken.

(I still have some tools that won't fit, I should have counted everything up and made it with a 6th row. I just did a rough count and thought heck thats enough tubes.) lol
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hubl View Post
    Building Building Building!

Post with pics of my Modified version called the "Rocket Launcher II" coming Soon.

Thanks again for sharing the details with me, and now everyone, Ken.

(I still have some tools that won't fit, I should have counted everything up and made it with a 6th row. I just did a rough count and thought heck thats enough tubes.) lol
    Should have added a "7th" row as well...you just know you arent done buying tools and will need expansion room!

Are the tubes painted black? If not what is your source for the cool black tubes?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil McWilliams View Post
    Are the tubes painted black? If not what is your source for the cool black tubes?
    I thought the Black tubes were COOL also, I had some 1 1/2" white PVC pipe already on hand and needed about 3 more so before making any cuts I ran to home depot and they did not have any in Black.

The plumbing guy told me that the Black pipe was actually ABS pipe used mainly in mobile homes, at least in our area anyways.
    He told me a couple plumbing supply places that might have it, but neither was close so I just took 3 more of the white PVC pipes home with me.
    I may use some self etching primer and paint mine Black, but then again if it starts peeling or chipping it will start looking ratty, so not sure yet, but I also Like the Black ABS pipe Ken used.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

Neil and Scott,

I used regular white PVC and "red hot blue glue" to glue up the tubes. The paint was necessary to cover my sloppy glue job. The paint stays on pretty well, but I suspect with time the friction fit of the tubes in the rack will remove some.

If I had it to do over again I'd probably use the gray PVC conduit or black ABS pipe, and epoxy.

Ken