Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lie Nielsen or Veritas?

Lie Nielsen or Veritas?

I'm looking to invest in a quality low angle block plane and I'd like some opinions on the pros and cons of these two manufacturers. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

All pros and no cons to both brands. They are both outstanding, go with either one and be happy.

I've played with the LN and I own the Veritas. The LN is very nice but my opinion is that the Veritas is a bit more refined and just feels better in my hand. That's pretty subjective. Performance wise, there's no difference as far as I can tell.

I have not played with the Veritas, but I do own several LN blocks that I use on site. They have been dropped, rained on, and used in ways that would make many here shudder, and they just keep doing their job year in and year out.

I'm sure the Veritas is just as tough, don't know....

Joe, I am just waiting for a woodworking show where I can hold both.

I use the Lie Nielson #102 block plane ($95) , and want to add a full size LN or LV. Both have great reviews. I've tried the LN 60-1/2 in the store and love it.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'm assuming that the blades are of equal quality. The specs look identical. I guess it's a matter of how the body feels. The LN is bronze @ $115, and the Veritas cast iron @ $145.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    I'm assuming that the blades are of equal quality. The specs look identical. I guess it's a matter of how the body feels. The LN is bronze @ $115, and the Veritas cast iron @ $145.
    I believe the amount you quote for the Veritas is for the adjustable mouth version, whereas the LN version you quote is for non-adjustable mouth. The adjustable-mouth LN is $165. The non-adjustable Veritas (apron plane) is $85.
    Ron Conlon

Ahh -- the eternal question: Lie-Nielsen or Veritas? You can't go wrong with either one, and I think these are really a personal decision. Which one feels better to you and works better in your hand? I would order the Veritas, but only because they have a good track record with me. They always seem to feel better a little better in my hand.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

You know, we have become very peaceful about Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley here. Didn't our arguments used to be as good as the SawStop threads?

Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley are both great. They even have the same first names.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 02-12-2011 at 2:00 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    You know, we have become very peaceful about Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley here. Didn't our arguments used to be as good as the SawStop threads?

Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley are both great. They even have the same first names.
    Wow. Dragging the SS thread into the debate? LOL. I don't even read tablesaw accident threads anymore.

I am interested in the LN-Veritas though........ It seems so far Veritas gets the nod.

I have several Lie-Nielsen planes and love them. I've never tried the Veritas planes, so I can't give you advice on one vs the other. One thing I will point out is that the Lie-Nielsen planes (and almost all of the tools they sell) are made in the USA.

I have Li-Nielson and Veritas planes. Both are well made and it will come down to what fits your hand and comfort level.

I have a low angle block and the jack plane from LV, I love them both and have no complaints, I hope to add a smoother from LV someday. I don't own any LN and cannot comment on them, but honestly from what I have read about LN and know about LV you can't go wrong with either one.

Depending on your sharpening skills and technique, you should also consider if you want 01 or A2 steel. If you're sharpening skills are poor and you use oilstones--I reccommend 01. I personnaly prefer 01 because it is so much easier to sharpen (subjective opinion-and I use oilstones). LN offers 01--I don't now if LV does.

My personal preference is LN (subjective)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hunt View Post
    I have several Lie-Nielsen planes and love them. I've never tried the Veritas planes, so I can't give you advice on one vs the other. One thing I will point out is that the Lie-Nielsen planes (and almost all of the tools they sell) are made in the USA.
    Bryan,
    I completely respect your view of the made in USA thing, and I have been putting my money where my mouth is over the past 3 years. I only buy US made Jeans (Diamond Gusset!), shoes, tools, beer...you know - the important things. It almost always costs me more for my time for the research and the goods. I have also been selling and/or exchanging my tools for ones made here...which is easier to do since I'm switching over to hand tools.

But I consider Canadians my brothers, and I made the decision to not make a distinction between our two countries when it comes to my money. They, after all, very often have no choice but to buy US made goods. The fact that they produce some of the best tools, at a fair price, makes it an easy decision.

Please don't think I'm trying to disagree with you, I'm not - the opposite actually, just wanted to give my support to Canada, eh.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Pedisich; 02-12-2011 at 7:55 PM.