Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
Exactly Harvey. This is why I emphasise the relevance of a common angle (as found in the standard block plane). It can do things that the low angle block plane is ill suited for. I can appreciate why some eschew block planes altogether, relying instead on a bench plane. For myself I would not want to be without a block plane or two. They offer maximum control, do good work and are pleasurable to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I had a couple of Stanleys that are so poorly made as to be useless, so I had no idea what a good block plane could do, none. So when I got the 102 I was amazed but quickly ran into its limitations - low angle and lack of adjustable mouth is a major drawback. The LV standard block solved that. I"m even more amazed that I have both these tools in near constant use. The LV is twice the size of the 102 and has the heft for some heavier work, and for that reason I find they compliment each other.

The other great advantage of the standard block, at least for me, is that when you don't know the grain direction of a piece of stock, you're going to do a lot less damage if you go the wrong way. Since I often do mosaics of shop sawn veneers, the LV has proved excellent at leveling and smoothing with minimal tear out. I would suggest to anyone buying a low angle block to also buy a 38 degree blade as well.