Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lie Nielsen or Veritas?

They both make non adjustable smaller block planes -- the LN 102 and the LV apron and larger adjustable mouth planes. The adjustable mouth LN 60 1/2 is smaller and handier than the LV version. So it depends on whether you want a slightly larger block plane: the LV; or a little smaller: the LN. I have the LN 60 1/2 and it is superb. Although it is small is is quite a bit heavier than a Stanley. LV also has some new designs of block planes that are pricey and unusual looking. Another difference is that the LV have a Norris adjuster which controls the lateral and depth -- the LN blocks have a depth adjuster and you simply move the blade by hand for the lateral adjustment. I would see what you feel fits your hand best. Both are fine companies who will stand behind their products. LN has free events where you can try their products and get advise -- look on their website to see if there is one coming to your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich View Post
    Bryan,

… I consider Canadians my brothers, and I made the decision to not make a distinction between our two countries when it comes to my money.
    Pete
    I also hold the citizens of our northern province in high regard.

(As well as those of the little island of Australia!)
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I think the simple answer to the question is: "yes".

A couple more things for you to consider, and these are subjective observations on my part: From what I have seen of Veritas over the last 10 years that I have been paying attention, it appears that they are in the business of looking back at old tools and styles of tools and sort of redesigning them. Veritas tools definitely have a modern look and feel to them. In addition, they strive to maintain high quality tools that will function well and last for generations. Lie Nielson also maintains a very high quality standard and they too build tools that will last generations. However, instead of looking to redesign old tools, they seem to attempt to replicate them with a classic look and feel while using modern quality standards, materials and manufacturing.

Basically, Veritas (in my opinion) takes a fresh look at tools and makes them their own, while Lie Nielson is in the business of building new classic tools. Has anyone else made the same observations?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    A couple more things for you to consider, and these are subjective observations on my part: From what I have seen of Veritas over the last 10 years that I have been paying attention, it appears that they are in the business of looking back at old tools and styles of tools and sort of redesigning them. Veritas tools definitely have a modern look and feel to them. In addition, they strive to maintain high quality tools that will function well and last for generations. Lie Nielson also maintains a very high quality standard and they too build tools that will last generations. However, instead of looking to redesign old tools, they seem to attempt to replicate them with a classic look and feel while using modern quality standards, materials and manufacturing.

Basically, Veritas (in my opinion) takes a fresh look at tools and makes them their own, while Lie Nielson is in the business of building new classic tools. Has anyone else made the same observations?
    Though nobody would ever mistake me for a neander from the outside looking in (witha view toward buying some good planes) I think you are spot on.

Clearly, you need a Veritas NX60.

BLING!!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Joe - this question is too easy. I'm surprised no one gave you the correct answer yet:

Get the LV LA adj mouth block, and also get the LN LA rabbet block w/nicker.

BTW - there is no handrail on this long, slippery slope you've just started down. See you at the bottom of the hill.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Clearly, you need a Veritas NX60.

BLING!!
    That is one sexy plane....did I just say that???

Blog Entries
    Back to the OP's question. My answer is that both are very nice tools. The one that you prefer will be up to you. I was lucky enough to visit a woodworking show back when LN still participated in the left coast shows. Being able to go back and forth between the two booths (conveniently located near each other) allowed me to spend plenty of time with each (read "I was a pain for longer than any vendor should be expected to put up with me").

I went with the Veritas LA block and medium shoulder plane on that run. It is unfortunately a matter of how the things feel in your hand, not mine or anyone else's. The LN and LV block planes were about equal in feel for me. The Veritas medium shoulder just fell into my hand while the LN format felt awkward, to me. Since I was sold on the LV shoulder and the blocks were equal I went with LV on both. Your mileage may (and probably will) vary ;-)

How's that for being firmly planted in mid-air?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not to confuse the issue, but have you considered the new V3 Woodriver planes? IMHO, Lie-Nielson are superior planes to the Veritas. With woodriver somewhere in between on quality. But when you consider the price, Woodriver can't be beat.

LN adjustable mouth block plane, it is the most used and versatile plane I own. Usable right out of the box. I'm by far no sharpening expert but it is easy for me to sharpen also.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich View Post
    But I consider Canadians my brothers, and I made the decision to not make a distinction between our two countries when it comes to my money.

Please don't think I'm trying to disagree with you

What, you are disagreeing with me....

Was trying to decide which rabbet skew plane with a fence that I should buy.... I have an order in with the valley right now. Would save on shipping if I had decided in their favor sooner (but I am still on the fence).

I spoke with a local expert (he was one of the teachers at the 2010 Woodworking in America Conference) who has used many different brands. He stated that for one of the planes he did not like the way that Lee Valley felt in his hands because the front tote was too low to his liking (or something to that effect). My only point is that how a tool feels in your hands is highly personal. In either case, the quality should be great.

Now if only I could decide which I will order (want to use them cut a small rabbets when I create drawers by hand (hand-cut-dovetails, yeah, trying my first one, and I see how the small rabbet will help).

If you can get your hands on both, feel them then try to not buy both.

I have a Lie-Nielsen Adjustable Mouth Block Plane and Love it. The Body is Ductile-Iron the Cap is Bronze. Friend of mine has the Veritas Equivlant and loves his too. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have the LV Low Angle Block plane and the LV medium shoulder plane and I'm very fond of both. That said, if your initial objective is to cut small rabbets for dovetails I don't think you would go wrong with the shoulder plane. It fits my hand beautifully, it's balanced and if you run it against a guide it will cut extremely accurate rabbets. I'm having trouble getting my head around how you would cut a rabbet with a block plane as the edge of the blade is inside the body of the plane rather than out at the edge like it is on a shoulder plane. However, it's been a LONG day and I may simply be missing something obvious.

Regards,

Ron

Call me crazy but I have Lie Nielsen block plane and shoulder planes instead of Veritas mostly because of looks. Well I do have some veritas tools like scrapers and honing guide, but no planes. If you compare them both, it just seems like the Lie Nielsen is an heirloom quality hand tool that has a traditional design with a classy appearance.

Veritas seems like they try to improve upon classical designs with the mechanics or add some styling to it. Besides sharpness, the sexiest tool in the shed gets the most use.

Here's a pic of my LN low angle block plane. Also a picture of it taken apart.

Sorry for the saw dust...

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7190.jpg