Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster trial run.......

Monster trial run.......

I took Bernie's advice, and also David Keller's to do a trial run with my Monster Hollowing rig, just to see how the thing works and the different cutters react on wood that was not for my black walnut HF with finial and pedestal. Thanks guys. good advice!

I made this hollow vase out of a piece of Bradford pear that I had ........5-1/2" tall and 3-7/8 wide, and the walls are a consistent 1/8" thick, except I left just a tad extra at the opening on purpose, but it still cracked on me!

This was a total hurry up job........I wanted to hurry up and get to my other work for today, and get this trial run over with so I could be ready to get to my other form next week [hopefully] The form is a little off, as I did not get the curve like I should have, but it was just a practice run, so I am not too upset with myself.

Also, I had made a small bowl from the same wood to take unfinished to our Charles Neil finishing demo last Saturday..........there were more unfinished than he had time, and mine was not one he picked to work with, so I finished it a couple of days ago with some WOP.

The Monster rig is pretty intuitive if you have ever hollowed with hand held tools.......I see now that I could have gone straight to the black walnut HF, but this was still good practice to get the feel for the rig.

This Monster system is really slick! I don't know if hollowing could get any better than with this system. No distress, no catches [at least today] no torque on hands and wrists, and no fighting the tool..........just smooth steady cutting action. I did have to follow John K's advice and change the laser a few times depending on the area I was working on. Also I figured if I could get a small form done without catches etc, then a larger one would not be too difficult as far as the hollowing is concerned.

Thought I would share, even though I am not satisfied with the form on the hollowed vase.

IMGP2567.jpgIMGP2568.jpgIMGP2569.jpgIMGP2570.jpgIMGP2571.jpgIMGP2572.jpgIMGP2573.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The hollow form came out pretty good. The monster is on my list, but I am not sure of the priority of stuff that I want (need).

I really like the form of the bowl.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Roger you did well and don't see you having any problem doing your walnut piece. HF and bowl are really nice looking pieces. Nicely done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    The hollow form came out pretty good. The monster is on my list, but I am not sure of the priority of stuff that I want (need).

I really like the form of the bowl.
    Rich,

If you do decide on monster system, I think you will really love it. It is a world of difference than trying to do it with hand held tools............the laser really takes the guessing out of wall thickness, and I actually used 3 different tips on this, and all worked well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Roger you did well and don't see you having any problem doing your walnut piece. HF and bowl are really nice looking pieces. Nicely done.

Thanks Bernie.........I missed on the form for sure, but I did this in a hurry, and was more concerned with the hollowing process than the form, as I wanted to break in the Monster rig, and your suggestion was a good one for the dry run..........at least I know I can do it!

Roger, I think you are ready for the walnut!! Looks like you did very well with the Monster rig!

Bring on the walnut! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the rig, and it looks like you've got the hang of it.

Roger - your vase looks pretty good! Happy to hear you like your new system!

Only suggestion I have is that if you feel you are going to have to rush to do a turning - then don't even start. When you rush - you are just pushing your luck with either a catch or worse.

I look forward to seeing your first 'official' HF off the new system! Have fun with it and remember that the laser only points to where you tell it! Adjust constantly!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looking good, Roger. It must be hard to let the new toy sit while you attend to the rest of your life. Hope you get some quality time with it soon.

Just curious how long did it take to hollow that? I have been working since yesterday on a piece of Claro Walnut I have been saving for 2 months now, until I felt like I had enough experience to turn it without ruining it, and so far I have about 3-4 hours into the hollowing itself and its about a consistent 1/2 thick and about "6 inches tall and 4 at the widest, so just curious how long do you think it would take to hollow something like this with it?

Tim, Roger can comment on his pear piece, but I do a lot with Claro walnut, and the size you have mentioned shouldn't take more than an hour easily - perhaps less. I am just talking about the hollowing of the form - no prep or outside work. There are factors that will effect that - the actual contour, the opening, etc.

12. Tim,

As you get comfortable and some experience under your belt with hollowing, your pace will increase and project completion time will decrease. John's answer is pretty much right on the money.

Looks like you are getting the hang of it in short order Roger. Good luck with that walnut!

Thanks guys, I just wanted to compare roughly how long it took with your system versus by hand as I am doing it now...I see one of these in my future!

Nice job Roger. But I'll have to agree with Steve in that if you are in a hurry, then don't bother. Just wait til you have the time to commit to the piece and to the learning of a new tool.
    Tony

"Soldier On"