Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's next in tool purchases

The swan neck tool was suggested in one of your earlier discussions and that would be a good addition to the Monster system, along with some scraper blades.

Then there is also an airbrush, more gouges, more scrapers, additional tool rests, etc....

Bill Hensley brings up a good suggestion and it's probably more inline with the "Gift Budget". If you don't have the Robust tool rests then I highly recommend them. I have several other rest that I have bought over the years and once I found the Robust I've not used any of the others.
    To answer your question on the Coring systems I'd recommend the McNaughton. I have the knives now for the Oneway but need to get a base before I can try it out. The Woodcut is OK for smaller blanks but the McNaughton is the most versatile.

3. Roger the cruise I am talking about is a woodturning cruise! Organised by a guy called odd eric he gets some of the worlds best turners on a boat with a load of lathes welded to the car deck you spend a week turning and learning in the most amazing place its like a symposium on water! Its the only cruise I would go on!
    Ermmm ............ lots of miles from Mr S very many miles

4. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kennedy UK View Post
    Roger the cruise I am talking about is a woodturning cruise! Organised by a guy called odd eric he gets some of the worlds best turners on a boat with a load of lathes welded to the car deck you spend a week turning and learning in the most amazing place its like a symposium on water! Its the only cruise I would go on!
    Thanks Richard.......I knew that was a turning cruise............but if I were going to spend that kind of money, I would still rather go to Alaska on a moose hunt!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hensley View Post
    The swan neck tool was suggested in one of your earlier discussions and that would be a good addition to the Monster system, along with some scraper blades.

Then there is also an airbrush, more gouges, more scrapers, additional tool rests, etc....
    Bill, I like this suggestion.......that and a scraper tip would most likely complete my hollowing arsenal pretty well. Thanks!

6. I want to take a moment to thank everyone who replied to my question here...........there have been some great suggestions, and things mentioned that I had not even considered. I was just at a point I did not know which way to be next, but wanted to utilize my opportunity to the best effect. I like the robust tool rest idea, the collet chuck idea, the swan neck and scraper tip for my monster rig [that may be next indeed] and the suggestion for wood, as I would like to get some burls, but most I have seen are in the $350-$600 range........a bit more than my gift, but maybe I can get a couple of smaller ones.

Thanks everyone..........I really thank you!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-13-2011 at 2:16 PM.

For Burls check out Bad Dog Burls. Rob is one of the best to deal with. He carries everything. http://www.burlsource.com/