Thread: Little gloat with an ash crotch bowl.

Little gloat with an ash crotch bowl.

My wife decided to surprise me for my birthday with new bowl gouge, the Ellsworth signature from Crown. Spent most of yesterday getting materials and setting up a jig to sharpen it but today I gave it a good test and am quite happy with her choice. This ash crotch bowl is one of the things I got finished today. Had a couple of good sized checks I needed to CA. Size is 14.5" x 3.5" x 3/4" finished with walnut oil and beeswax. Comments and advice are welcome.
    DSCN0503.jpgDSCN0505.jpgDSCN0502.jpgDSCN0507.jpg
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Philip, that is a wonderful looking bowl - great centering on the grain, and that feather is fantastic!! Nice rim detail, as well. No advice needed as far as I am concerned!

Oh yeah, congrats on the gouge. I was so stricken with the bowl, I forgot!

Congratulations on the gouge. It must have worked well. Great looking bowl. I would hate to put anything in it and cover up that grain!

Phil - great looking bowl! Congrats on your new gouge! Obviously it works well!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

nice gloat with new gouge, where did she get the hint????

very nice bowl

Really nice job with the grain. Either you wife must be a turner or you leave catalogs around with the pages turned down and items circled. OR she's checking your internet history.

Nice score on the gouge, it is my favorite. From the looks of the bowl, I would say it works pretty well. Lovely wood.

That's a sweet looking bowl... I'm sure the gouge is nice, but that bowl is really something.

Nice looking bowl. That is quite a grain pattern. The bowl gouge is one of my favorites and one I go to most.

That is a sweet bowl. Congrats on the gouge.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

11. That's as cool a bowl as I've ever seen - great wood and some nice turning.

Beautiful bowl, and congrat's on the new tool. It's hard to find a suitable crotch to get that large a bowl from.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

great bowl -great find on the wood - great work. And I assume the gouge is great too!

I love that gouge..it is a winner. the bowl is just gorgeous. The wood sure makes it a stunner. i like that you just turned it real simply to show off 'ol mom nature's skill!

That chunk of wood sure gives this bowl a wow factor. Nice job Philip and congrats on the new gouge..