Thread: EM 9000 over EM 1000

EM 9000 over EM 1000

I had a plan to spray 1 coat of Target EM 1000 Sanding sealer down first and then finish with EM 9000.
    THis will be for the inside of garage cabinets. I am going to pre finish the sheet goods before I cut them.
    My Idea of crazy talk is discussing spraying the inside of a box.

Will this combination work OK?
    Theo

I didn't get any answers back on this so I figured it was an easy process.
    I found some decent 7 layer sanded pine 3/4 plywood at home depot for $24 a sheet that I am using to make some garage cabinets with.
    I didn't want bare wood on the interiors of the cabinets even for the garage.
    The pine wants to soak up all of the EM9000 so to alleviate this I sprayed one good coat of of EM1000,
    Allowed it to dry over night. Sanded with an orbital sander using 220 grit. Then finished using 2 coats of EM9000.
    It came out great. I was surprised how good pine plywood could look.
    I did all of the finishing before cutting the pieces.
    theo

I suspect that the EM1000 is just fine as a base for your EM9000--Target's web site indicates it is a "universal" sealer product. BTW, I prefer to pre-finish cabinet components before building carcases myself. It takes some time to carefully mask off joint areas, but the end result is very nice. And it's far easier to spray flat components than "into a box", if you know what I mean!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim
    One of my definitions of insanity is spraying inside a box.
    Theo

Frankly, the best choice is often to just use pre-finished ply in the first place. It's little more than bare wood, but really saves a ton of work and materials.