Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone.

Worked in the shop this weekend on the latest knife box project. Things are moving along fairly well, but time is getting tight since "work" has been getting in the way of some much needed shop time.

Church on Sunday and more shop time Sunday night.

So, what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks......
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

- took my daughter out to dinner for her birthday
    - went to the Woodworks show and bought some router bits and hand sanding blocks
    - took my Delta BS off the factory legs to install it on a roll around cart I built (man is that thing heavy)
    - sorted my scrap wood collection I've been saving for 20 years and had a great big fire in the fireplace

Bob

My woodworking for the weekend consisted of designing and milling up some railing stock for our back stairway. While it's narrow, it still needed something to grab onto, especially for when the 'rents visit. The steep angle of the stairs is rougher on folks when coming down. So Saturday, after various folks picking up things we FreeCycled showed up and we ran a few errands, I took a nice hunk of 8/4 poplar, flattened it, planed it and then made various cuts on the table saw and router table to "bring out the railing that was hiding in the wood". (Profile shown below...and I made up enough that I have some extra for the stairway between the shop and the space above the shop for the future) After sanding, the stock was primed and left to cure over night.

Sunday, after various distractions, like getting up late, making breakfast, etc., including some more FreeCycle visits (including a interesting deaf woman with a deaf Jack Russell...directions via IM to her pager), as well as waiting for the shop to warm up, I worked to get the railing cut and put up. Because there was no guarantee that I could it a stud under the plaster and lath, I had to make the bottom section a little longer so it would overlap some wood trim...it ain't goin' anywhere now that it's screwed up tight! I still need to caulk and paint (need materials), but at least this long-put-off task is completed. For the remainder of the day, it was shop cleaning time...much needed since the armoire and side table projects were finished.

DVD of the week was Spiderman 2. Dr. SWMBO also made two great meals...a Moroccan beef stew on Saturday in the crock pot and a really yummy roasted chicken on Sunday. The latter done in a cast iron pan with the bird stuffed with onions, garlic and other savory things and turned every fifteen minutes. Super moist and flavored and the resulting gravy was "divine"...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-17-2005 at 1:59 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, I watched a lot of football and in between plays I toyed with my new Leigh D4 dovetail jig and messed around the shop. After that I cleaned my shop with the help of my new Jet DC1100CK dust collector (with remote!!) . Then a buddy of mine called to let me know that our wood had come in. So off I went to pick up the first 200bd ft. of QS red oak . Another 100bd ft to come after it is kiln dryed and surfaced to 3/4". Brought it home and cut some up to start two nightstands for my daughter but didn't get much farther than that. Will just have to pick up this weekend when I get off. Unless some new toys distract me again !!

Hope everyone had a safe weekend and hopefully got farther along than I did on your respective projects .

I installed the t-miter track and fence t-track for my router table. I finally got my Rockler fence on the thing. Woohoo!

As far as projects go, I started working on my son's Pinewood Derby car. He was Pack Champ last year and we hope to place well this year. He's 7, so I'm showing him around the shop, er ... garage. He even got to use Dad's new router table.

The weekend started out pretty good, Larry Merlau and his dad stopped by for a visit and some coffee, got my router table extension built on my table saw.....then the flu hit.... So, Sat. night and all day Sunday was spent on my back in bed.

(1) Assembled a toboggan for which I had steam bent the wood (ash) last week.

(2) Put up the new (correct this time) bracket for my dust control cyclone. (But, I found that I will need help to lift the cyclone motor up onto the new bracket.)

(3) Built a large dolly to help move the machines (e.g. a 450 pound band saw) that will be delivered soon.

I will post more aboout all these activities sometime later this week.

I had some MDF and some ash in my bone pile and decided to finally organize my sanding stuff. Results below.

I did some cleanup inside and outside the shop rehab project, bought supplies for the next phase of the rehab and stacked it neatly inside the shop. LOML flew to Florida and back to pick up our new show prospect. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=14427&page=2 at the bottom for her picture. After that, nothing constructive happened. But had lots of fun and laughs with a 4 month old Irish Setter that is afraid of NOTHING!!!!! All in all a great weekend. Jim.

Went to the WoodWorks show in Springfield, Ma on Saturday and saw amazing demonstrations by Frank Klausz. I could have spent the entire day watching him.
    Bought a few Timberwolf BS blades and a few odds and ends, nothing to brag about. Sunday was spent cleaning in the shop and watching some great football. Go Pats!!

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

I finished up a mahogany wall-mount mailbox I built out of scraps, and finally painted the doll shelf I made for my daughter. Pictures coming soon.

I'm really kind of between projects. I want to build the Mission headboard and dressers from Wood, but I'm having trouble finding QSWO at a good price. It ranges from $3.75 - $5.00 around here, and that's just too steep for me. I have found a source for quarter sawn red, and I may go get a bunch of that.

Other than the limited shop time, I had church on Sunday, and spent the rest of the time doing general cleanup around the house. That never ends, especially with a new puppy. Thank God for tile floors.

I got the last of the truck parts painted and ready to install when the motor gets here. Also put the finishing touches on a new doghouse built for the part time shop dog. She refuses to sleep in it or the shop, she likes the chair on the porch best. The doghouse will go to a friend who has been wanting one forever. She does our taxes and that's all she asked for last year. I kept waiting for her to submit me a design, but she never did (she's very busy year round as a CPA for a big construction company).

I'll surprise her with it soon...here's a pic or two....you'll notice the doghouse is complete with a partially covered deck....sadly the first deck built at my house....

Continued on the fireplace companion built-in bookshelves. Have really put my Kreg jig to work and man, is it great. Used it to build and attach the face frames. Got to build some raised panel doors now, then on to finishing.

No home shop time, but spent Friday night, Saturday, and Monday here at school working with students on our next production which opens in 2 weeks. We are a few days behind and the weekends allow us full days to try and catch up. I included some pictures I took as they were working. This is where I spend a large part of my time. Managing this facility, teaching and design work keep me busy.
    Sunday I spent at my computer slowly typing a Grant Proposal for funds to attend a total immersion workshop by "The Institute Digital Performing Arts" in Costa Rica. If I get it, I and others will be working as guest artists on current productions at several regional theatres in San Jose learning about Automated Lighting Systems, Digital Audio/Video production, and live stage Puppet Animatronics.

I am planning on a small table and chair set for my wife the first part of my summer break, which is when I get most of my shop time in.
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda