Thread: Krenov jointer

Krenov jointer

Finally done! 23.5" long, 1.5" X 1.4" thick iron. I just have to finish grinding the bevel on the iron. It is shop made. I burned the corners a bit and need to grind past that. It is O-1, hardened/tempered to RC60. One pic just to show the size over my other planes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

That is a nice line-up of planes you've got there. What's the wood choices for your jointer? If I remember correctly you've got a peice of lignum you use for the soles. Is that what you've done to this jointer's sole?

One last technical question, do you find that making the cross pin a complete round dowel just as effective as Krenov's 3 sided cross pin? I am at this point in my build and was just going ahead with krenov's original 3 sided cross pin. But I think it might be easier in the future to just use a brass rod cross pin.

Thanks, Tony. It must be someone else with the lignum, I don't have any. For this plane and my scrub, the soles are Bolivian rosewood. I seem to like it, it's hard and has stood up to use on the scrub. The body of the jointer is maple and I forget what the sides are (it's negro something or other...it looked pretty). For the cross pin, I just use a 1/2" dowel. It's simple and it works. I'm a little mad at myself though, as I got out of square when I drilled for the pin. Which meant that it took a little extra work to fit the wedge.

4. Looks like a great plane! How much does it weigh?
    KL

Kenneth, I just threw it on the kitchen scale and it came out to 3lb 6oz. I've edge jointed one piece to try out the iron, and it feels pretty good. If it was wider, I would probably fit a tote. As it is now, I can wrap my hands around it alright. Here's the first shavings...I'm pretty proud, first 100% made by me plane!!!!

Looks good. How about a better pick of the one on the right. Is it a shoulder plane?
    The Plane Anarchist

Congrats Mark!

It seems to be quite a beast. Regarding the shavings it works great. The fleet looks great, too. I like the basic idea to make the main tools by oneself. Itīs a very honest way to do woodworking and one of a true craftsman, too!

Klaus

Leigh, ask and you shall receive. Here's a pic of the shoulder plane. It's a Hock kit. Easy to assemble, and a joy to use.

Klaus, thanks! I enjoy making these tools. I'd like to add a shopmade saw and a chisel or two to my tool set as well. There's something special about using tools that you make yourself. I have another iron made for a smoother, and enough material for two more irons...so that means there's three new planes coming at some point!

That is a pretty wood. Could it be laurel negro?

I'm not sure if that's it, John. I'll stop out at the store tomorrow and check. I actually feel kind of silly forgetting what kind of wood I used. Basically, I picked up a piece and thought "that's awfully pretty, is it hard enough?" It offered a nice contrast to the maple, and was cheaper than the Bolivian rosewood that I used for the sole. What really sold me is that big swoop of white down the side.