Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    How is an old joint glued with PVA repaired?

You steam the piece apart and pare away all the old PVA back to clean, bare wood. Then you get to make a new joint....in a piece you can get completely apart you can either do a floating tenon or plug and recut the mortise slightly smaller and pare the tenon to fit...or if it won't come completely apart you can use veneer shims (inferior).

Sure, you can use thickened epoxy that'll fill the loose joint, but that introduces a separate set of problems in dismantling. Epoxy joints are wrapped in linseed-soaked rags to protect the finish and put under the heat lamps for the 45 minutes it takes to heat the joint then you pound it apart with a rubber mallet. Once you get it apart, the epoxy reglues very well after sanding, but dismantling is unreliable and difficult.

In a valuable old piece of furniture worth saving, you'll often find several different flavors of homeowner-grade glue and brad repairs in otherwise excellent joinery that make conservation work so much fun.

And modern woodworkers, of course, are taught to introduce these unrepairable products into their work from the getgo.

The thought of a "waterproof" PVA glue I can't break apart easily with steam makes my teeth itch.

Yup....but your Granddaughter or Greatgranddaughter probably won't be when somebody like me tells her the piece can't be saved economically.
    ???? These were NEW panels, clamped up.
    I was just telling my first experience with the new titebond 3.
    Steve

I was just following up your experience with a bad batch of glue with another facet of "glue failure" few bother to think about...

...but should.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    I was just following up your experience with a bad batch of glue with another facet of "glue failure" few bother to think about...

...but should.
    Ok. Thats cool. Just wondering.